Forum:Amusing monster names
I have recently enjoyed myself far too much by naming monsters "himself" and watching my pet go at 'em. ("The little dog bites himself!") This is exponentially better when you get different types of monsters attacking each other, either by having unusual pets or just generating conflict. My favorite so far: "The master lich touches herself!"
In the early game when my attack skills are low, I also enjoy calling baddies "your girlfriend" so that when a melee blow doesn't land, I can read "You miss your girlfriend." True dat, Nethack. Downside: eventually it will say "Your girlfriend is killed!" Sadness.
Or, name a dungeon denizen "Nobody ever" and when it attacks your also-creatively-named pet, you get messages like "Nobody ever hits the Spanish Inquisition!" or "Nobody ever misses the 1980s." Bonus: use it with a foocubus. "Nobody ever smiles at you seductively." Sadness x2.
Et cetera, et cetera.
On a more actually useful note, I recently realized that giving monsters one-character names shortens the length of messages, such that a string of messages that might take up multiple lines (requiring you to hit Enter to get to the next one) can sometimes fit on a single line (making the Enter unnecessary, and so saving a keystroke). Potential advantage for players as lazy as I am.
- One of my favorites things was always names that give YAFM when chatting with a monster. For example:
- "Go away!" the bat squeaks.
- "Whatever," the gnome grunts.
- You find your attention slipping as the dwarf talks about mining.
- Et cetera. I like the names you suggest a lot though. -Ion frigate (talk) 23:54, 15 January 2013 (UTC)
"Yourself" is an awesome steed name.
- "You mount yourself."
- "You and yourself fall into a pit!"
- "Salutations, scorchgeek! Welcome to Nieb's hardware store. Will you please leave yourself outside?"
And a few that don't require riding:
- "You displaced yourself."
- "You feel worried about yourself."
Other similar names:
- "You won't move!"
- "Welcome again to Akureyri's general store!" "Will you please leave your soul outside?"