Forum:Can I add startingskills to the rolepages
In the Pages, that descrpie the different roles, the starting-skills are missing. If you give me the permission, I could add them. The reason is, that the starting-skills are less obvious, as it seems in the first place, because of the following idiosyncrasis :
- Roles that can reach master in barehandet-combat or marterial arts start basic in this profession. Roles, that don't reach master start unskilled. This is independet of the fact if they start with a weapon. (Barabarian, Caveman, Monk (obvious) and Samurai start basic; Tourist start unskilled, despite lacking a weapon)
- Roles that start with possible ammunition for a launcher start basic in the skill of that launcher, no matter if they posess such a launcher. (Archeologists start basic in sling, because they have a touchstone)
- Spellcasting skills are hardcoded and independent of starting inventory (Wizards:attack,enchantment; Healer:healing; Priest:clerical; Monk:healing). This means for example a wizard, starting with a spellbook of light will be unskilled in divination, but basic in enchantment.
The interesting question is the format of that information. It would be nice to set an asterix in the skill table behind a skill that starts basic, and an ittalic line below that tells the reader that the asterix means. The problem is how to edit the skill tables ? In the pages there are macros used like "archeologist skill table" in curly brackets, but how to edit theese macros ? --18.104.22.168 16:29, 15 September 2013 (UTC)
- I think it's a good idea to add the starting skill to the table (in some reasonable format). Technically, you generate the tables from NetHackWiki:Skill_table_generator and then edit the individual templates, such as Template:Archeologist_skill_table. --Tjr (talk) 16:38, 15 September 2013 (UTC)
- OK patching the Skill_table_generator would be very difficult, beacause the starting inventory dependend skills would require linking a large part of nethack to it, and further I have no C++ compiler. I'll add it manually to the pages. --22.214.171.124 17:50, 15 September 2013 (UTC)