Forum:Changes to pet Polytrap behavior?
Hey guys, has 3.6.1 made changes to pets around polytraps? Or maybe just on NAO?
1. I had a pet repeatedly jump on a polytrap intentionally. 2. After using a Magic Whistle to mutate a couple pets, it stopped working but still showed on screen. I should search and see if screen hasn't updated maybe? Used to be polytraps only disappeared when player used them.
- What did they turn into? Some monsters may resist the polymorph effect. Notably, gray dragons can't be polymorphed by traps at all. -- Andrio Celos (talk) 11:28, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
Thank you, Andrios. Even dogs and cats (with 0%MR) were landing on the trap and not transforming...unless they were transforming into identical dogs and cats!...maybe. Maybe they're also dodging the trap, just as a pit and landmine can be avoided (maybe i'll code-dive for that). In general, there just seemed to be a lot less pet-poly happening on the poly-trap than in the old days...but maybe it's my imagination. Thidwick (talk) 01:46, 7 November 2018 (UTC)
- I play 3.6.0, and pets dodge polytraps a lot. My personal record is a wumpus that had to be whistled onto the trap 12 times before it would change. I always expect to burn several hundred turns to get the pet I want (Jabberwocks and Mindflayers are awesome!).--Skrizzle (talk) 02:51, 8 November 2018 (UTC)
- I was wondering similar issue when trying to polymorph my pet who had been blue dragon already. But found a new trap and become copra. But I did look into code and found that if pet knows about polytrap it has 3 in 4 chance to dodge the trap even before magic resistance tests.  --Pauli (talk) 20:27, 17 December 2018 (UTC)
- Worth mentioning that this isn't new behavior, see: Source:NetHack_3.4.3/src/trap.c#line1705. I've definitely had this experience in 3.4.3. Slow monsters are also annoying, at least without a magic whistle. And yes, intelligent-but-weak pets will intentionally jump into a polymorph trap, just like hostile monsters. -- Qazmlpok (talk) 00:38, 18 December 2018 (UTC)