Forum:Page idea: Notekeeping
I've found keeping notes to be enormously beneficial.
Things such as:
- location of shops, fountains, sinks, etc. in case I want to go back
- intrinsics I've acquired (have I eaten a floating eye corpse yet?)
- which floor has the various branches
- Elbereth-prepared retreat squares
- where my stashes are
- notes about what I've seen in shops...I may not want to (or have cash to) buy that 200gp scroll, but it's interesting if I find one with the same name later
- last turn I prayed
Etc. This is doubly useful if you read a scroll of amnesia :-)
There is not really a page that describes note-taking as a strategy - is it worth a strategy page?
- I think there might not be enough to say about that. Perhaps add it as a section to an existing page? You can add redirects from e.g. notekeeping to the relevant section on the relevant page. —bcode talk | mail 23:48, 3 January 2014 (UTC)
- PS: re shop item prices, naming the item type probably is a better idea for that :) Of course, naming is also sometimes used for other notes. —bcode talk | mail 23:52, 3 January 2014 (UTC)
- I think we should create such a page. People will find things to add. In any case, a solid discussion whether to keep notes of FOOBAR would be welcome.
- Some topics, off the top of my head: dungeon overview patch; standardized notes format for diamondrobin games; how does your note keeping style change as you become more versed in nethack; ethics of a discoveries dump; unnecessary things people keep notes of, versus underated notes.
- Personally, I also record my in-game Luck (and in pacifist games alignment record), and which game sub-goals I still have to attain, location of polytraps, to what extent the levels are explored. --Tjr (talk) 12:07, 5 January 2014 (UTC)
- This is also something that should be incorporated into futures versions of Nethack. I play exclusively on a tablet now and don't come back to my game for days. Being mobile means that I can't have my notes handy, kind of a pain switching between apps to remember where things were. --Aheneve (talk) 17:27, 8 January 2014 (UTC)