Forum:Place to play 3.4.3 with NAO-style mods?
Well, some of you know my (perhaps ill-conceived) disliking for 3.6.x. Maybe it's just that I feel like we're playing without a net now, now that we're in a different version than the one that's been around for decades.
I personally tried 3.6.0 and decided that most of the changes were unnecessary and intrusive. I know I'm in the minority here, but I decided to stick it out with 3.4.3 as long as possible, or until I saw a real improvement in the latest version. Now, I have windows binaries of both 3.4.3 and 3.6.0 on my computer, but I normally play on Alt dot Org, because I like the set of mods (I rely on healthbar, for one thing) and because I enjoy getting other player's bonesfiles and having a community leaderboard.
(And I have no access to the software and the expertise to compile a custom version, by the way.)
I was glad, of course that NAO was keeping 3.4.3 as an option, and I was more than a little disappointed when it was announced that it was being removed at the end of this month.
Does anyone know of any other public telnet servers that offer a similar mod package and setup to NAO, but that haven't gone to 3.6.x?
If not, I'll just get over it and transition to the new version, of course.
- 3.4.3 being removed??? What?! Oh dear! I have a few characters I have put on hold, and was in the process of ascensions! I think my first ascension may be pacifist! Thank you for the heads up! Will they keep it open and running only for people with current games open and saved (as other servers have done)? If not, I've got a lot of playing to do in the next few weeks!
- Not sure why they would remove it. I agree with about 3.6.0 — a lot I cannot wrap my head around. --User (talk) 04:57, 5 May 2018 (UTC)
- The menu options for 3.4.3 and 3.6.0 (which has been superseded after only a few months) both say "removed 5/31/2018" or something to that effect. To me, that doesn't initially sound like they'll let you keep your running characters, but I don't know. Ms. J. Marie Stanton, Professional Valkyrie (talk) 01:41, 6 May 2018 (UTC)
- Hardfought is still keeping 3.4.3-nao up and running for the foreseeable future. dtype and I were just discussing the NAO 3.4.3 saves a few minutes ago - we may import them over so users with existing games can continue to play out their saved games. The user account on NAO would have to match what's on Hardfought. If this happens, we'll let the community know. --K2 (talk) 04:49, 13 May 2018 (UTC)
- Good to know! I sure hope so. Not sure how I am going to find the time to play/finish the several characters I have going. Am going to try hard on the pacifist, though. 3.6.x is not a small change. I was so excited to see a new version of NetHack a couple of years ago, but was met with a wail of great disappointment.