Forum:Status of the saddled Nightmare...tame, fast, carrying you.
Status of the saddled Nightmare (lawful): Level 12 HP 24(24) Pw 78(78) AC -2, tame, fast, carrying you.
- You can't, as shopkeepers can never be tamed even after being polymorphed.
- Does Nightmare's covetous nature make him act as an unusual saddle, or is it just like riding a really strong warhorse? -- Qazmlpok (talk) 13:19, 3 December 2012 (UTC)
She's like a really strong warhorse for the most part. There is an error generated...
- "placing steed onto map?
- Program in disorder - perhaps you'd better #quit."
... whenever Nightmare would normally perform and action but can't due to being ridden. Examples: If there is a coveted item on the current level and she's being ridden, the error will be generated because she can't teleport to it. If her hit points are below full, and there isn't a coveted item in your backpack, the error will be generated because she can't teleport to the upstairs. This error isn't generated if her hit points are low and you are carrying any coveted items, assuming because she is already where she want to be, with you and your item. Also, she won't steal from shops unless you bag any coveted items, or if that's not possible, leave them at your stash level. Which can be tricky in itself, because when you throw a coveted item while riding her, she'll pick it right out of the air and drop it at your feet. If you try and ride away, leaving it behind, she'll pick it back up and drop it at the next square. She's quick enough to grab it before a teleport, but will leave it on the stairs if you let her drop it before riding her to another level. It seems as if coveted items are transferred directly into her inventory if they are not already in someone else's inventory or a container. This happened instantly on arrival when levelporting, while riding her, into a non teleport level and landing on the opposite side of the map then the item. When this happens it leaves behide ghost/duplicate images of the item. I'm using GTK w/ tiles.
So the last level on the wizard quest went something like this. Rode her down the stairs. Error (coveted item on the level). I dismounted her and she was gone before I hit the ground. Casted detect monster, and she was standing next to the dark one. I stepped onto the upstairs, and the dark one teleported next to me all bruised and bloodied. Nightmare also teleported back with the Eye of the Aethiopica. She dropped the amulet and finished the Dark One off in the next action before I could do anything else. So I was standing there on the upstairs with both the Eye of the Aethiopica and the Bell of Opening at my feet within three actions. I've never seen a warhorse do that.--22.214.171.124 00:46, 11 December 2012 (UTC)
- That error makes sense then, as it appears in place_monster in steed.c. Steeds aren't supposed to warp around, after all. -- Qazmlpok (talk) 03:15, 11 December 2012 (UTC)
- error report C331-7 says the error is harmless, even if this isn't the exact same cause, and I haven't experienced any instability in game play yet, besides the message window being filled up with annoying errors. It hadn't occurred to me yet, but the "warping around" does seem to be the common factor generating the error.--126.96.36.199 04:13, 11 December 2012 (UTC)