The Murderer is a role specific to Slash'EM Extended, which has been added in version v123. They are a harder-than-hard role, and can be any race or alignment. Gameplay for them is similar to the Convict but much harder.
Murderers start the game with cursed or negatively enchanted equipment and some (mainly harmful) intrinsics (see below). They also start out punished.
The murderer's starting pet is a sewer rat which can grow up into a rodent of unusual size. However, they begin the game on the verge of being hungry, and unlike Convicts, their metabolism isn't slowed yet they still start with negative alignment and luck so an early prayer will not work.
The Murderer quest sees you fighting the Upper Bull for the Pitch Blade. It is also notorious for its extreme difficulty, basically forcing the player to postpone it until a complete ascension kit has been acquired.
- a cursed -9 sniper rifle
- 5 cursed +10 shotgun shells
- 7 cursed -6 rocks
- 20 blessed -4 knives
- a cursed -5 striped shirt
- a cursed -10 cyan dragon scale mail
- a cursed +0 cloak of luck negation
- either a cursed +3 helm of thirst or a cursed +0 helm of bad alignment (randomly chosen with a 50% chance for each)
- either a cursed +2 pair of undroppable gloves (80% chance) or a cursed +0 pair of gloves of trap creation (20% chance)
- a cursed +5 pair of boots of weakness
- a cursed -10 healthstone
- a cursed -20 gray stone, with equal probabilities of being a stone of magic resistance, shades of grey stone, DSTW stone, confusion stone, stone of intrinsic loss, alignment stone, trap creation stone, stone of vulnerability, stone of cursing, status stone or deafness stone
- a cursed amulet of poison warning
- a cursed ring of sustain ability
- a cursed ring of gain intelligence (random enchantment, can be positive or negative)
- a cursed +20 spellbook of darkness
- a cursed +20 spellbook of aggravate monster
- a cursed +20 spellbook of stun self
- an uncursed wand of remove resistance
- an uncursed wand of amnesia
- an uncursed wand of starvation
- an uncursed scroll of flood
- an uncursed scroll of lava
- an uncursed scroll of growth
- an uncursed scroll of barrhing
- an uncursed scroll of lockout
- 3 uncursed potions of urine
- 5 cursed fortune cookies
- 5 cursed corpses
- a cursed tin whistle
- a cursed mirror
- a cursed +1 tinning kit or a cursed +1 can of grease (randomly chosen with a 50% chance for each)
Murderers gain the following intrinsics:
Murderers have the following gameplay quirks:
- All monsters are always generated hostile, including normally peaceful ones like quest leaders and watchmen.
- Shopkeepers are exempt from this, but will not allow the murderer into their shop.
- Taming domestic animals is much more difficult since they may "still look wary of the player" instead of becoming tame.
- All skills start out at Unskilled, even those for weapons the player starts with.
- Gets backstab bonuses when attacking sleeping or fleeing monsters.
- Lawful: Falis
- Neutral: _Marfa
- Chaotic: Falaris
(from User:Kahran042's pantheons - Record of Lodoss War)
Murderer rank titles
The status line shows you to be one of the following ranks when you reach the specified experience level:
- XL 1-2: Knife Killer
- XL 3-5: Dangerous Criminal
- XL 6-9: Mean Contract
- XL 10-13: Serial Killer
- XL 14-17: Cold-Blooded Gangster
- XL 18-21: Silent Assassin
- XL 22-25: Master Hitman/Hitwoman
- XL 26-29: Professional Cutter
- XL 30: Bane of all innocent people
For the murderer role, the early game will be harder than hard due to the numerous bad items. Getting rid of them will be necessary if the player wants to stand a chance; in particular, the starting sniper rifle is two-handed and will prevent the player from using their hands. This also means the player cannot wield the heavy iron ball right away; it will probably be necessary to kick a lot until the rifle can be uncursed or otherwise removed. Nymphs or other item-stealers will be very helpful provided they don't steal the player's starting wands/potions/scrolls and use them against the player.
Later in the game, when most of the bad items have been removed, the Murderer needs to turn up a good weapon to kill monsters with. Flail-class weapons (especially iron balls/chains) at legendary skill level may be the best melee option, and if the player can cancel their starting stack of knives to turn them into uncursed +0 ones, they may become a useful ranged weapon that can be advanced to expert.
The Murderer quest nemesis is fairly easy to beat if the player has free action; without it, the nemesis will often use paralysis melee attacks. However, there are many big special rooms on the quest which may be filled with nasty opponents, potentially making it very hard to get anywhere. The nemesis surrounds himself with tons of monsters too.
The Murderer is based on the Convict role, but with some adjustments to make it much harder.