Below is the full text to vmsconf.h from the source code of NetHack 3.6.1. To link to a particular line, write [[Source:NetHack 3.6.1/include/vmsconf.h#line123]], for example.
The NetHack General Public License applies to screenshots, source code and other content from NetHack.
This content was modified from the original NetHack source code distribution (by splitting up NetHack content between wiki pages, and possibly further editing). See thefor a list of who changed it, and on what dates.
/* NetHack 3.6 vmsconf.h $NHDT-Date: 1432512780 2015/05/25 00:13:00 $ $NHDT-Branch: master $:$NHDT-Revision: 1.22 $ */
/* Copyright (c) Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam, 1985. */
/*-Copyright (c) Robert Patrick Rankin, 2011. */
/* NetHack may be freely redistributed. See license for details. */
* Edit these to choose values appropriate for your site.
* WIZARD is the username allowed to use the debug option of nethack; no harm
* is done by leaving it as a username that doesn't exist at your site.
* HACKDIR can be overridden at run-time with the logical name HACKDIR, as in
* $ define hackdir disk$users:[games.nethack]
* Trailing NULs are present in the default values in order to make some
* extra room for patching longer values into an existing executable.
#define Local_WIZARD "NHWIZARD\0\0\0\0"
#define Local_HACKDIR "DISK$USERS:[GAMES.NETHACK.3_5_X.PLAY]\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"
* This section cleans up the stuff done in config.h so that it
* shouldn't need to be modified. It's conservative so that if
* config.h is actually edited, the changes won't impact us.
#define HACKDIR Local_HACKDIR
#define WIZARD_NAME Local_WIZARD
/* filenames require punctuation to avoid redirection via logical names */
#define RECORD "record;1" /* scoreboard file (retains high scores) */
#define LOGFILE "logfile;0" /* optional file (records all games) */
#define SYSCF_FILE "sysconf;0"
#define HLOCK "perm;1" /* an empty file used for locking purposes */
/* want compression--for level & save files--performed within NetHack itself
* If nethack.exe will be installed with privilege so that the playground
* won't need to be left unprotected, define SECURE to suppress a couple
* of file protection fixups (protection of bones files and ownership of
* save files).
/* #define SECURE */
* If you use SECURE you'll need to link /noTraceback, in which case
* there's no point trying to get extra PANICTRACE info and this might
* as well be commented out. When enabled, the sysconf file controls
* how to handle it (note that we're hijacking the Unix GDB setting):
PANICTRACE_GDB=0 #behave as if PANICTRACE was disabled
PANICTRACE_GDB=1 #at conclusion of panic, show a call traceback and exit
PANICTRACE_GDB=2 #at conclusion of panic, show a call traceback and then
* # remain in the debugger for more interactive debugging
* # (not as useful as it might sound since we're normally
* # linked /noDebug so there's no symbol table accessible)
* Put the readonly data files into a single container rather than into
* separate files in the playground directory.
#define DLB /* use data librarian code */
* Provide menu of saved games to choose from at start.
* [Player needs to use ``nethack "-ugames"'' for this to work.]
* You may define TEXTCOLOR if your system has any terminals that recognize
* ANSI color sequences of the form ``<ESCAPE>[#;#m'', where the first # is
* a number between 40 and 47 represented background color, and the second
* # is a number between 30 and 37 representing the foreground color.
* GIGI terminals and DECterm windows on color VAXstations support these
* color escape sequences, as do some 3rd party terminals and many micro
/* #define TEXTCOLOR */
* If you define USE_QIO_INPUT, then you'll get raw characters from the
* keyboard, not unlike those of the unix version of Nethack. This will
* allow you to use the Escape key in normal gameplay, and the appropriate
* control characters in Wizard mode. It will work most like the unix
* It will also avoid "<interrupt>" being displayed when ^Y is pressed.
* Otherwise, the VMS SMG calls will be used. These calls block use of
* the escape key, as well as certain control keys, so gameplay is not
* the same, although the differences are fairly negligible. You must
* then use a VTxxx function key or two <escape>s to give an ESC response.
#define USE_QIO_INPUT /* use SYS$QIOW instead of SMG$READ_KEYSTROKE */
* Allow the user to decide whether to pause via timer or excess screen
* output for various display effects like explosions and moving objects.
#define TIMED_DELAY /* enable the `timed_delay' run-time option */
* If you define MAIL, then NetHack will capture incoming broadcast
* messages such as "New mail from so-and-so" and "Print job completed,"
* and then deliver them to the player. For mail and phone broadcasts
* a scroll of mail will be created, which when read will cause NetHack
* to prompt the player for a command to spawn in order to respond. The
* latter capability will not be available if SHELL is disabled below.
* If you undefine MAIL, broadcasts will go straight to the terminal,
* resulting in disruption of the screen display; use <ctrl/R> to redraw.
#define MAIL /* enable broadcast trapping */
* SHELL enables the player to 'escape' into a spawned subprocess via
* the '!' command. Logout or attach back to the parent to resume play.
* If the player attaches back to NetHack, then a subsequent escape will
* re-attach to the existing subprocess. Any such subprocess left over
* at game exit will be deleted by an exit handler.
* SUSPEND enables someone running NetHack in a subprocess to reconnect
* to the parent process with the <ctrl/Z> command; this is not very
* close to Unix job control, but it's better than nothing.
#define SHELL /* do not delete the '!' command */
#define SUSPEND /* don't delete the ^Z command, such as it is */
* Some terminals or terminal emulators send two character sequence "ESC c"
* when Alt+c is pressed. The altmeta run-time option allows the user to
* request that "ESC c" be treated as M-c, which means that if nethack sees
* ESC when it is waiting for a command, it will wait for another character
* (even if user intended that ESC to be standalone to cancel a count prefix).
#define ALTMETA /* support altmeta run-time option */
#define RANDOM /* use sys/share/random.c instead of vaxcrtl rand */
#define FCMASK 0660 /* file creation mask */
* The remainder of the file should not need to be changed.
/* data librarian defs */
#define DLBFILE "nh-data.dlb"
* Since we can do without case insensitive filename comparison,
* avoid enabling it because that requires compiling and linking
* src/hacklib into util/dlb_main.
/* # define FILENAME_CMP strcmpi */ /* case insensitive */
#if defined(VAXC) && !defined(ANCIENT_VAXC)
#define STRICT_REF_DEF /* used in lev_main.c */
/* bison generated foo_yacc.c might try to use alloca() */
#define alloca __builtin_alloca
#define ALLOCA_HACK /* used in util/panic.c */
/* <types.h> excludes some necessary typedefs when _DECC_V4_SOURCE is defined
typedef __pid_t pid_t;
typedef __uid_t uid_t;
typedef __gid_t gid_t;
typedef __mode_t mode_t;
#endif /* _DECC_V4_SOURCE */
#if 0 /* <file.h> is missing for old gcc versions; skip it to save time */
#else /* values needed from missing include file */
#define O_RDONLY 0
#define O_WRONLY 1
#define O_RDWR 2
#define O_CREAT 0x200
#define O_TRUNC 0x400
#define tgetch vms_getchar
#define index strchr
#define rindex strrchr
/* Use the high quality random number routines. */
#define Rand() random()
/* VMS V7 adds these entry points to DECC$SHR; stick with the nethack-supplied
code to avoid having to deal with version-specific conditionalized builds
#define random nh_random
#define srandom nh_srandom
#define initstate nh_initstate
#define setstate nh_setstate
#define Rand() rand()
#define bcopy(s, d, n) memcpy((d), (s), (n)) /* vaxcrtl */
#define abort() vms_abort() /* vmsmisc.c */
#define creat(f, m) vms_creat(f, m) /* vmsfiles.c */
#define exit(sts) vms_exit(sts) /* vmsmisc.c */
#define getuid() vms_getuid() /* vmsunix.c */
#define link(f1, f2) vms_link(f1, f2) /* vmsfiles.c */
#define open(f, k, m) vms_open(f, k, m) /* vmsfiles.c */
#define fopen(f, m) vms_fopen(f, m) /* vmsfiles.c */
/* #define unlink(f0) vms_unlink(f0) /* vmsfiles.c */
#define unlink(f0) delete (f0) /* vaxcrtl */
#define unlink(f0) remove(f0) /* vaxcrtl, decc$shr */
#define C$$TRANSLATE(n) c__translate(n) /* vmsfiles.c */
/* VMS global names are case insensitive... */
#define An vms_an
#define The vms_the
#define Shk_Your vms_shk_your
/* avoid global symbol in Alpha/VMS V1.5 STARLET library (link trouble) */
#define ospeed vms_ospeed
/* used in several files which don't #include "extern.h" */
extern void FDECL(vms_exit, (int));
extern int FDECL(vms_open, (const char *, int, unsigned));
extern FILE *FDECL(vms_fopen, (const char *, const char *));
char *FDECL(vms_basename, (const char *)); /* vmsfiles.c */
#endif /* VMSCONF_H */
#endif /* VMS */