Astral vision, granted by wearing The Eyes of the Overworld, lets you see anything within radius 3, even if that space is dark or there are walls or boulders blocking your line of sight. This means you can see while blind (although it does not strictly prevent blinding - your blindness continues in the background until it wears off, or you remove the Eyes, similar to Grayswandir's behavior with hallucination). Therefore, if you are blind and have astral vision, you won't be able to make use of intrinsic telepathy.
Objects seen through astral vision using the farlook command are described as though you had personally handled the item (a behavior similar to a blessed potion of object detection; for example, viewing a scroll on the floor will tell you its label, not merely "a scroll," and gems discovered embedded in rock will appear with whatever type-name you might have given them. Unlike blessed potions of object detection, this also includes items in monster inventories detected with said potions (regardless of BUC) or the detect treasure spell. This may or may not be a bug.
In NetHack 3.4.3, astral vision is subject to bug C343-93, a very minor bug which causes monsters seen with astral vision to be listed as seen with normal vision when using the farlook (;) command. Another bug regarding monsters is that monster seen with astral vision always stops occupations when they move, unlike usual vision.
The Rogue level
Astral vision does not grant its "vision" properties while on the Rogue level; monsters, tiles, and items are not revealed through darkness or obstructions. The only parts of it that still function are those that prevent and override blindness.
- Your vision seems to dim for a moment but is normal now.
- You were blinded while having astral vision
- Your vision seems to dim for a moment but is happier now.
- You were blinded while having astral vision and hallucinating
- Your vision seems to brighten for a moment but is normal now.
- Your blindness was cured while having astral vision
- Your vision seems to brighten for a moment but is sadder now.
- Your blindness was cured while having astral vision and hallucinating