I got the Amulet of Yendor after the Invocation ritual and now Rodney has stolen it and I cannot find him again. I have telepathy and see invisible and have gone all the way up to level 1 looking for him. The "malignant aura" thing is happening a lot as well. Thanks for any ideas/help; I'd rather not abandon this game (lvl 23 barbarian with -16 AC twoweaponing a +7 long sword and +6 silver saber) but the curse removal housekeeping chore is getting old. Thanks again --Mannc (talk) 20:57, 8 June 2014 (UTC)
- Did you go downwards ? If Rodney steels the Amulet of Yendor he will typically flee from you by teleporting to the upstairs and possibly going upstairs. If he goes upstairs he might be sourrounded by a mysterious force like you and be teleported down. So he is most probably one level below the one there he stole the amulet. There are some safety features in his AI that prevent him from bringing the amulet to you, so don't expect him to show up with the amulet. Furthermore, The Wizard of Yendor may take the appearence of another Monster to hide from you, so he may not be visible as an violet '@'. He can appear as :
- PM_HUMAN, PM_WATER_DEMON, PM_VAMPIRE,
- PM_RED_DRAGON, PM_TROLL, PM_UMBER_HULK,
- PM_XORN, PM_XAN, PM_COCKATRICE,
- For more info look at wizard.c
- If you have problems with curses, keep in Mind, that there is no hard time limit to leave the Dungeon, if you need holy water, you can make some before entering the endgame (Waterwalking boots over water is the best way to dip potions). You can even pray as long you are in the dungeons of doom, just remeber to be able to pray again before entering the endgame. As the prayer timeout at that point may be very high, (see rnz and demigod) you will have to do a lot of sacrifice.--22.214.171.124 00:28, 11 June 2014 (UTC)
- On a tangent - why is it important to be able to safely pray before entering the Planes?126.96.36.199 04:31, 12 June 2014 (UTC)
Thanks for the tips. I found Rodney, got the Amulet back and managed to make it to the Plane of Air where I was swamped with Js, As and Es -- I used up all my escape routes (wands, prayer, full healing) and didn't want to go alone so I broke my last wand of death and took some of them with me. Next time, more gold detect scrolls and confusion/booze. Mannc (talk) 10:32, 12 June 2014 (UTC)
On another tangent (and sorry to butt in) does PM_TRAPPER imply that he'd be hiding? would he have a brain in this form? --188.8.131.52 12:29, 12 June 2014 (UTC)
- beeing able to pray when you enter the endgame is helpful, because the endgame is dangerous (Mannc did pray). The Engame has no altars (ok, it has one coaligned high altar, but if you stand there you will ascent the next turn), so you can't sacrify to be able to pray, and the prayer timeout at that point is high enough, that you might not be able to pray anymore in that game. If you god is angry (for example praying in gehennom, or trying to convert Molochs altar in the sanctum (verybad idea) might have angered your god) you won't be able to pray anymore.
- If I understand the sourcecode right, The wizard's camouflage uses the same entry in his monst structure than a mimic, so he is still the wizard of yendor and shouldn't be able to do anything, that his apperance would be able to do. For contrast, a chameleon actually becomes the monster it is mimicing, with the same monster structure like this monster, the only thing that makes it a chameleon is an entry, that contains it's real form. Look into monst.h and you will see. Rodney and mimics use the entries m_ap_type and mappearance, to specify how they look. Shapechangers are a monster, with all implications, and have the bitfiels cham set to a value that discribes their natural form. Trappers do have a brain (they lack the M1_MINDLESS flag), so he would be seen via telepathy anyway.
- There is however one problem with this (maybe a bug), if you attack him while camouflaged (any form), you get a mimic message "Wait ... thats the Wizard of Yendor" and lose a turn, despite the default action for walking into a hostile monster should be attack anyway, so if you know it's Rodney you should attack him with the 'F' prefix, to avoid losing a turn. I once wrote an E-mail to the Dev Team about what problem, but they never answered. --184.108.40.206 15:17, 12 June 2014 (UTC)