- 1st June 2021 - Junethack 2021 has started
- 26th May 2021 - #nethack IRC channel moved to irc.libera.chat
- 28th April 2021 - EvilHack version 0.7.0 has been released, please see this reddit post for details.
- 23rd March 2021 - xNetHack version 6.0 is released. See this reddit post for details.
- 1st November 2020 - The November NetHack Tournament has begun! See the wiki page for details.
- 15th July 2020 - The NetHack Scoreboard has new hosting and is on a new domain - https://nethackscoreboard.org.
- 1st June 2020 - Junethack 2020 has started
- 11th May 2020 - SpliceHack version 0.7.1 is released. See this reddit post for details.
- 25th April 2020 - Slash'EM Extended bleeding-edge release v266 is available.
- 10th April 2020 - xNetHack version 5.1 is released. See this reddit post for details.
- 5th April 2020 - EvilHack version 0.5.0 has been released, please see this reddit post for details.
- 8th March 2020 - NetHack 3.6.6 is released
- 27th January 2020 - NetHack 3.6.5 is released
- 23rd January 2020 - GnollHack public beta available for Windows.
- Older news...
- How to search for a portal?
- How can I force curses interface to use Terminal colors?
- Any Rogue/Hack version on VAX/VMS?
- My calculation about the best weapon to choose
- DarkVector appearance?
- PSA: The watercooler is back.
- Ever got annoyed by lack of color differences?
- Portrait NetHack/roguelikes, a suggestion for developers
- A bit disappointed with 3.6.0, anyone?
- Thosugris of Aithosogul?
Hello, welcome to NetHackWiki!
The game will store no more than one bones file per dungeon level. When a player enters a level for the first time and a bones file exists for that level, it will only be loaded as a bones level 1/3 of the time; otherwise it will generate the usual level and the bones file will remain untouched.
If a second adventurer is killed in a bones level, the level may then again be saved as bones, creating a double bones, or rarely even a triple or quadruple bones.
Bones levels can be very beneficial to find, since they will contain a bones pile where the dead adventurer has dropped all their possessions, but they can also be dangerous, since whatever killed the adventurer is likely still lurking around somewhere.