Knight (player monster)

From NetHackWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

A knight is a player monster corresponding to the knight role. Like other player monsters, knights are never randomly generated and are thus rarely seen. Some peaceful knights appear on the home level of the knight quest[1], and the hostile player monsters on the Astral Plane may include one or more knights[2].

Reading a cursed scroll of genocide as a knight while confused will summon a number of knight monsters, although they won't have their usual equipment. Using undead turning on the corpse or stone to flesh on the statue of a dead knight left on a bones level will revive the corpse or statue as a player monster. A statue of a knight named Perseus is also found on Medusa's Island[3], and two knight corpses can also be found in the Valley of the Dead[4].

Most knights encountered in the main dungeon will turn out to be doppelgangers, which may temporarily assume the form of a knight.

Equipment[5][6]

A normally generated (i.e. not revived or reverse-genocided) knight will carry a long sword with 87.5% probability or a randomly chosen melee weapon with 12.5% probability. The weapon's enchantment will be random between +0 and +3 (or between +4 and +8 if on Astral), and it will be either erodeproof or greased (but not both) with 33.3% probability each. Like other player monsters, knights will also be equipped with 1d3 random offensive items, 1d3 random defensive items and 1d3 random miscellaneous items.

Knights on the Astral Plane will also receive a randomly generated ascension kit containing various pieces of armor as well as a cheap plastic imitation of the Amulet of Yendor, some gold and other items, and will have a 50% chance of having their weapon made into an artifact of the same type (if possible). Unlike some player monsters on Astral, knights have only a 50% chance of wearing dragon scale mail instead of non-magical body armor.

References

  1. dat/Knight.des in NetHack 3.6.0, line 67
  2. create_mplayers in mplayer.c
  3. dat/medusa.des in NetHack 3.6.0, line 56, dat/medusa.des in NetHack 3.6.0, line 155, dat/medusa.des in NetHack 3.6.0, line 273, dat/medusa.des in NetHack 3.6.0, line 373
  4. dat/gehennom.des in NetHack 3.6.0, line 87
  5. mk_mplayer in mplayer.c
  6. Monsters' Equipment Spoiler by Boudewijn Waijers, Topi Linkala and Philip Potter