|) Vorpal Blade |
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
|Base item||long sword|
|Damage vs. small||1d8 +1 (2-9)|
|Damage vs. large||1d12 +1 (2-13)|
|Weapon skill||long sword|
|Base price||4000 zm|
The Vorpal Blade is a very useful artifact weapon. It is a neutral long sword, and has a 5% chance of instantaneously killing monsters by beheading. It is shunned by some players because it only does +1 damage and d5 to-hit, but others find the insta-kill to be quite useful. The beheading only works on monsters with heads.
Neutral players can easily obtain Vorpal Blade by being crowned. But wizards and monks need to carry their crowning gift spellbook (finger of death and restore ability respectively) to get the sword. The Vorpal Blade is also a sacrifice gift for neutral players, but attempting to obtain it this way can be very time-consuming, and is generally a bad idea unless you're done wishing for artifacts.
- "One, two! One, two! And through and through
- The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
- He left it dead, and with its head
- He went galumphing back."
The implication is that the vorpal blade beheaded the Jabberwock. Because of the origin of this weapon, in NetHack it has a 100% chance of beheading Jabberwocks.
Instakill probability table
The following table summarizes the damage done by the Vorpal Blade. For example, if you expect to hit a monster ten times, you can assume a 40% chance of beheading it. You have also done an average of 55 points of physical damage to it. The odds of beheading a monster are above 50% if you can expect to hit it 14 times, which entails inflicting about 77 points of damage anyway.
|Hits||Cumulative instakill probability||Physical damage to small monsters (avg)||Physical damage to large monsters (avg)|
|1||5%||2–9 (6)||2–13 (8)|
|2||9.75%||4–18 (11)||4–26 (15)|
|3||14.26%||6–27 (17)||6–39 (23)|
|4||18.5%||8–36 (22)||8–52 (30)|
|5||22.6%||10–45 (28)||10–65 (38)|
|10||40.1%||20–90 (55)||20–130 (75)|
|15||53.7%||30–135 (83)||30–195 (113)|
|45||90.0%||90–405 (248)||90–585 (338)|
Monsters wielding Vorpal Blade
Vorpal Blade is a very dangerous weapon in the hands of a monster, since a monster with Vorpal Blade will have a 5% chance of beheading you with each attack. Therefore, you should never leave Vorpal Blade in a place where a monster can pick it up. The safest place to store Vorpal Blade is inside a container on top of a scroll of scare monster. If you simply want to dispose of Vorpal Blade, either forget it in some chest, repeatedly loot a cursed bag of holding, or drop it into a pit you then fill with a boulder.
If Vorpal Blade has not already been created in your game, the player monsters in the Astral Plane have a small chance of being randomly generated with Vorpal Blade in their possession. Melee combat with these monsters is very dangerous. However, it is overpreparation to obtain Vorpal Blade just to rule out this possibility. If you have entered the Astral Plane and don't know where Vorpal Blade is, an amulet of life saving is highly recommended.
Usually, it is best to attack a monster wielding Vorpal Blade from a distance. In dire situations, it may be necessary to disarm it with a bullwhip. Remember to pick up (and dispose of) the blade.
- "Vorpal Blade decapitates the <monster>!"
- The monster has been instantly killed from the special beheading attack.
- "Vorpal Blade beheads it!"
- The Vorpal Blade instantly killed an unseen monster.
- "Somehow, you miss the <monster> wildly."
- Your hit would normally have beheaded the monster, but it lacks a head and thus had no effect. Note that no damage applies to the monster either.
- "Vorpal Blade slices through <monster>'s neck."
- Your hit would normally have beheaded the monster except it was insubstantial - ghosts and shades are examples of these. Note that no damage is applied to the monster either.
- "Vorpal Blade decapitates you!"
- You were killed by a monster wielding Vorpal Blade. Hopefully you never see this message!
|Hits||Cumulative instakill probability|