The main intent of this fork is to put more randomness, challenges, and fun into NetHack.
It features more levels, several UI improvements designed to reduce tedium, and many gameplay-related changes. Since 3.6.1 it also bundles a graphical tiles UI for Windows. The 5.1.0 version's default Windows tiles are not that good but it is bundled with DawnHack tiles.
Changes from NetHack 3.4.3
Patches and general code
UnNetHack incorporates the following patches:
- The dump patch (with additional HTML output)
- Heck² patch
- Color alchemy
- Portions of the Lethe patch, including Cthulhu
Version 5.0.0 adds the Convict role, with its associated equipment and monsters.
Several features are incorporated from SLASH'EM:
UnNetHack also fixes many vanilla bugs, such as the Astral call bug. Some of the changes made between 3.4.3 and 3.6.0 were taken from, or inspired by UnNetHack changes, and other variants incorporate content that originally appeared in UnNetHack.
As of version 5.0.0, Fort Ludios is more likely to be accessible: the portal will now be in the first vault generated below level 10. It still has a chance of being inaccessible if no vaults are generated below level 10.
The adventurer will be accepted by the quest leader to perform the quest from experience level 10 (rather than having to achieve experience level 14.)
- The Town (4.0.0): The Town is accessible from an upstairs located on the level below the entrance to Sokoban, and features numerous shops, a town watch, and muggers who will attempt to steal your inventory.
- The Ruins of Moria (5.0.0): The Ruins of Moria are located in the main dungeon somewhere above the black market.
- The Black market (4.0.0)
- Sheol (5.0.0): Sheol is an ice-themed branch of Gehennom, with special monsters, traps, and even terrain types.
- The Dragon Caves (4.0.0): The Dragon Caves are located deep within Gehennom, and consist of multiple dragon and purple worm-infested caverns, with several chromatic dragons waiting in a lair at the bottom.
For detailed changes in UnNetHack's dungeon branches, see the UnNethack dungeon map.
Certain special levels have been modified or given alternate versions, including the Castle, Fort Ludios, the Valley of the Dead, Moloch's Sanctum, and the lairs of the various demon lords. Listed here are examples of some of the different level variations:
Lots of new maps for Big Room are also added.
Random level generation has also been modified. In addition to new special rooms, wallified corridors, and various other changes, the dungeon now contains random vaults that add significant variety to what the dungeon can look like.
The vibrating square is somewhat easier to find. When the player is two squares away from it, he will receive the message "you feel a faint trembling under your feet". One square away the player will receive the message "you feel a weak trembling under your feet". Once on top the vibrating square the message is the typical "you feel a strange vibration under your feet".
Moloch's Sanctum has been changed significantly. It now features a modified map with two sections separated by an expanse of lava and a double drawbridge. Inside the inner Sanctum, the initially peaceful priest of Moloch is accompanied with Cthulhu, who now carries the Amulet of Yendor, and who reappears a few turns after being killed. The Amulet teleports whenever it is dropped, so after killing Cthulhu for the first time the player must locate the amulet within the level. This may require continuing to fend off Cthulhu—unless the player finds a way to get rid of him permanently.
|Snow ant||a||SLASH'EM||Freezing bite attack||4.0.0|
|Evil eye||e||Drains luck||5.0.0|
|Cthulhu||h||SLASH'EM/Lethe patch||Casts spells, sucks brains, and confuses||4.0.0|
|Uranium imp||i||Homestuck||Teleports along with player when attacked||5.0.0|
|Aphrodite||n||SLASH'EM||Steals, as a nymph||4.0.0|
|Deep orc||o||The Lord of the Rings||Generated only in Moria||5.0.0|
|Enormous rat||r||Higher level than giant rat||5.0.0|
|Rodent of unusual size||r||The Princess Bride||Higher level than enormous rat||5.0.0|
|Anti-matter vortex||v||NetHack brass||Engulf and disintegrate||4.0.0, removed 5.0.0|
|Chillbug||x||Adeon||Generated only in Sheol||5.0.0|
|Dark Angel||A||Generated in Sheol||5.0.0|
|Weeping angel||A||Doctor Who||Drains life and magic, level teleports||5.0.0|
|Weeping archangel||A||Drains life and magic, level teleports||5.0.0|
|Glowing dragon||D||Nephi||Armor is a light source||4.0.0|
|Baby glowing dragon||D||Nephi||4.0.0|
|White naga||N||Generated only in Sheol||5.0.0|
|White naga hatchling||N||Generated only in Sheol||5.0.0|
|Blue slime||P||Adeon||Generated in Sheol||5.0.0|
|Devil's Snare||X||Harry Potter||Stationary, uses holding attack||5.0.0|
|Ice golem||'||Adeon||Generated only in Sheol||5.0.0|
|Crystal ice golem||'||SLASH'EM||Generated only in Sheol||5.0.0|
|Wax golem||'||SLASH'EM||Burning touch, drops candles||4.0.0|
|Giant turtle||:||SporkHack||Blocks line-of-sight like a boulder||4.0.0|
|Punisher||`||Adeon||Generated only in Sheol||5.0.0|
|Watcher in the Water||;||The Lord of the Rings||Unique, found in Moria||5.0.0|
|Durin's Bane||&||The Lord of the Rings||Unique, found in Moria||5.0.0|
|Lava demon||&||Convict patch||5.0.0|
|Black marketeer||@||SLASH'EM||One-eyed Sam||4.0.0|
|Executioner||@||Unique, found in Sheol||5.0.0|
|Robert the Lifer||@||Convict patch||Unique, quest leader for the Convict role||5.0.0|
|Warden Arianna||@||Convict patch||Unique, quest nemesis for the Convict role||5.0.0|
|Inmate||@||Convict patch||Quest guardian for the Convict role||5.0.0|
|Prison guard||@||Convict patch||5.0.0|
|Convict||@||Convict patch||Player monster||5.0.0|
The antimatter vortex was added in version 4.0.0 but removed in 5.0.0.
- A tinfoil hat that blocks clairvoyance and impedes spellcasting.
- Glowing dragon scales and scale mail, which act as a permanent light source and provide stone resistance.
- Chromatic dragon scales and chromatic dragon scale mail, which provide all resistances (including reflection) except magic resistance.
- Rings of gain intelligence, wisdom, and dexterity from SLASH'EM.
- Potions of blood which have nutritional value for vampires.
- Potions of vampire blood which polymorph the player into a vampire.
- A scroll of flood, replacing the scroll of amnesia.
- An iron safe as a container.
- Itlachiayaque replaces the Orb of Detection as the quest artifact for the Archeologists.
- The Heart of Ahriman now grants displacement and energy regeneration instead of stealth.
- Luck Blade from SLASH'EM is added in version 5.0.0, as the first sacrifice gift for Convicts.
Changes to The Banes:
- Thiefbane has been added, in support of the black market.
- The Banes can cancel their targeted monsters.
- The Banes (not including Thiefbane) warn of their targeted monsters.
- Vorpal Blade warns of jabberwocks.
- Wielding Trollsbane grants hungerless regeneration.
- Ogresmasher increases wielder's constitution to 25, gives a +d4 damage to all monsters, and has a 50% chance of instantly killing ogres (a la Sporkhack). (While not named a "bane", Ogresmasher fits the category perfectly.)
Other object changes
Wands will now turn to dust after the first time they are wrested, however, the odds of wresting have been greatly increased, and is dependent on BUC.
The scroll of genocide wipes out a single species throughout the dungeon when blessed, and a single species on the dungeon level when uncursed. Cursed genocide is unchanged
When a cursed object is fired or thrown, there is a chance that it will hit the ceiling instead of its target.
Wearing correct racial armor grants an extra 1 AC per piece worn.
Thrones no longer grant wishes in any form.