Nymph level (UnNetHack)
The Nymph Level is a special level that exists in UnNetHack.
It has a 45% chance of appearing somewhere between levels 5 and 15.
It contains 6 rooms connected by random corridors.
The rooms are as follows:
- 2 rooms with a squeaky board trap, one random trap, one random item, and a random hostile nymph
- 1 room with a squeaky board trap, two random items, and a random hostile nymph
- 1 room with a squeaky board trap, one random trap, one random item, one random hostile nymph, and the downstairs
- 1 room with a squeaky board trap, one random item, one random hostile nymph, and the upstairs
- Aphrodite's room, which is an unlit room, containing:
- 2 squeaky board traps
- 4 chests
- 4 random rings
- 5 random gems
- 4 random items
- 5 random hostile nymphs
In addition, some of the rooms might contain trees. Due to the Dungeon Growths patch, by the time the player has entered the ascension run, this level can potentially be somewhat overgrown, impeding movement.
One thing to watch out for on this level is that your items will get stolen very easily, and you can end up spending many many turns chasing down nymphs to try to recover your inventory. Nymphs are often generated sleeping, but combat is noisy in UnNetHack and can wake sleeping monsters. To make matters worse, the various squeaky board traps scattered throughout the level make it very easy to accidentally wake up the nymphs.
If you have telepathy and a source of blindness (preferably a towel or blindfold), you can easily track down the nymphs and take your possessions back, be careful however that they may steal your towel, render you unable to use telepathy at all. To avoid the frustrations, a strategy is to detect their location using telepathy then use ranged attack to dispatch them with haste before they have a chance to come close.