If you have stealth, sleeping monsters will not be awakened as you approach.
Gaining intrinsic stealth
Characters can gain intrinsic stealth by:
- Reaching a certain level for some roles
- Eating a Ring of stealth, if the randomized ring appearance allows it.
- Being granted a favor while praying to your god on an aligned altar.
"I grant thee the gift of Stealth."
Losing intrinsic stealth (stolen by a gremlin) produces this message:
"You feel clumsy"
Items that grant stealth
Extrinsic stealth can be granted by several items:
- Elven boots (randomized appearance)
- Elven cloak (faded pall)
- Ring of stealth (randomized appearance)
- The Heart of Ahriman (luckstone)
- Whisperfeet (artifact boots) SLASHEM only
Stealth is particularly useful in several of the special rooms, allowing you to pick off the occupants of beehives,etc one by one. Be aware some higher level soldiers can wake an entire barracks with a bugle.