The occupants will be asleep if nothing has woken them. However, in Fort Ludios soldiers will automatically awaken when you enter the level.
From dungeon level 15 on, there is a 1/4 chance of a barracks being generated in ordinary rooms-and-corridors levels which do not have a shop, throne room, leprechaun hall, zoo, temple, beehive, graveyard, or anthole.
Special levels with barracks
- You hear blades being honed.
- You hear loud snoring.
- You hear dice being thrown.
- There is a barracks on the level.
- You hear General MacArthur!
- There is a barracks on the level, and you are hallucinating.
- You enter a military barracks!
- You are entering a barracks.
- You enter an abandoned barracks.
- You are entering an empty barracks.
Killing all the soldiers in a barracks will leave you with a lot of loot. Some items that may be hard to find elsewhere include lances, spears, K-rations and C-rations. Captains have a chance of having a silver saber. There will be plenty of leather gloves, high boots and dented pots.
Be very careful of killing cockatrices in or near barracks: the glove-wearing soldiers are more than capable of picking up their corpses and using them against you.
Due to a bug, barracks will not be randomly generated under normal circumstances in SLASH'EM. Predefined barracks, such as those in the Castle, appear normally.