A tileset is a set of graphical tiles used in roguelikes to substitute the regular ASCII graphics, creating a GUI. It works by defining a set graphical tile for every symbol and object in the game. Graphical tilesets are often beneficial to new roguelike players who are not accustomed to the usual graphics-free style roguelikes are presented in. NetHack's DevTeam has created an official tileset for their official graphical client, and Angband has exceptional support for tile customization. Using tilesets provides the same top-down view as ASCII graphics and should not be confused with separate clients using 3D graphics (such as Falcon's Eye), which are a separate system entirely.
NetHack 3.6.0 tileset
NetHack 3.6.0 has made some changes to the tileset layout. The default 16x16 tileset for 3.6.0 appears below. You can place the mouse over any tile and a tooltip will describe it. A click will go to a relevant page.
The default tileset for NetHack 3.4.3 appears below. You can place the mouse over any tile and a tooltip will describe it. A click will go to a relevant page.
Scaled versions of the default tileset
- Default tileset scaled to 20x20
- Default tileset scaled to 20x30
- Default tileset scaled to 24x24
- Default tileset scaled to 32x32
At this writing (12 Dec 2015), most third party tilesets are not updated to NetHack 3.6.0. This program can convert the file, if it is in BMP format, and make it mostly usable with 3.6.0; it can also aid the author in updating his/her tileset.
- Nethack Modern A tileset published in 2015 featuring high-resolution vector art from game-icons.net
- The Absurd NetHack Tileset (originally here but the actual files have disappeared; some sizes survive on the Wayback Machine, your best bet would probably be the Authentic Invention website.)
- The RLTiles
- PixelHack Tiles (incomplete)
- NeXTSTEP tiles
- DawnHack Tiles (or 16x16 or 32x32 for NetHack 3.6.0). Also has tiles for UnNetHack.
- Nevanda (3.6.0) A detailed pixel-art tile set which has been edited and expanded for UnNetHack
- UnTekhack The edited version of Nevanda for UnNetHack
- Abigaba tiles
- Geoduck's tiles (Available for 3.6.0, older version of vanilla NetHack, SLASH'EM and UnNetHack.)
- lagged's tiles
Options to set a tileset
The option tile_map sets the path to the tileset; tile_width and tile_height set the width and height in pixels of each tile. Default settings for tile_width and tile_height depend on the user interface; usually both default to either 16 or 1/40th the width of the tile map (1/40th is correct for the default tileset and most third party tilesets, but Geoduck will need to have at least tile_height set).