Fire resistance protects against most fire damage and the majority of hot objects, but it will not prevent potions from boiling or scrolls and spellbooks from burning, nor will it prevent non-fireproof armor from becoming burnt. It is a must-have before hitting Gehennom, as fire traps are prevalent there and capable of reducing your maximum hit points.
Extrinsic fire resistance is granted by
- Wearing a ring of fire resistance,
- Wearing red dragon scale mail or scales,
- Wielding Fire Brand,
- Carrying the Mitre of Holiness, the priest quest artifact.
Intrinsic fire resistance can be obtained from eating the following corpses and globs:
|red naga hatchling||meaty||4||10%|
|Chromatic Dragon||meaty||23||17%||poisonous, Caveman quest nemesis|
|fire ant||meaty||6||20%||abundant on the Valkyrie quest|
|Wizard of Yendor||meaty||34||25%||cannibalism for humans|
|fire giant||meaty||11||30%||abundant on the Valkyrie quest|
|hell hound pup||meaty||9||47%|
|Lord Surtur||meaty||19||50%||Valkyrie quest nemesis|
|Ixoth||meaty||22||100%||Knight quest nemesis|
The following messages are associated with fire resistance:
- "You feel a momentary chill."
- You gained intrinsic fire resistance by eating a corpse or tin.
- "You be chillin'."
- You gained intrinsic fire resistance by eating a corpse or tin, while hallucinating.
- "You feel cool!"
- You gained intrinsic fire resistance by gaining a level.
- "You feel warmer!"
- You lost intrinsic fire resistance (level drain, gremlin attack).
- "You feel mildly warm."
- You were burnt, but suffered no damage due to fire resistance.