Cold resistance is fairly easy to obtain through eating corpses. White dragons provide cold resistance, as do most "cold" monsters, like blue jellies and winter wolves. The Valkyrie starts out with intrinsic cold resistance, being from the frigid Northlands. Monks get Cold Resistance at XL 13. Any character may gain resistance by crowning. Wearing a white dragon scale mail or a ring of cold resistance also provides you with cold resistance, and so does wielding Frost Brand.
Different monsters have the ability to confer this instrinsic upon eating. The full list is below. The percent chance refers to the chance of gaining this instrinsic upon completely eating the corpse. Nutrition values with a 'V' are suitable for vegetarians and those marked with a '!' are suitable for vegans. See eat.c#line640 and monst.c for further information.
|blue jelly||20 V!||~13%|
|brown mold||30 V!||~3%|
|gelatinous cube||150 V!||10%|
|winter wolf cub||200||~33%|
The following messages are associated with cold resistance:
- "You feel full of hot air."
- You gained intrinsic cold resistance by eating a corpse or tin.
- "You feel warm!"
- You gained intrinsic cold resistance by gaining a level.
- "You feel cooler!"
- You lost intrinsic cold resistance (level drain, gremlin attack).
- "You feel mildly chilly."
- You were frozen, but suffered no damage due to cold resistance.