Scroll of light
|Base price||50 zm|
|Ink to write||4-7|
|Monster use||Will not be used by monsters.|
Unless the player is confused, the scroll of light generates a permanent field of light or darkness. The field is a 9-unit radius field of light if blessed, a 5-unit radius field of light if uncursed, or a 5-unit radius field of darkness if cursed.
If confused, there is a 20% chance that a yellow light (if the scroll was not cursed) or black light (if the scroll was cursed) will be created next to you. Otherwise, the scroll will have the same effects as a cursed scroll, but with a 9-unit radius if the scroll was blessed.
- A lit field surrounds you!
- You read a blessed or uncursed scroll.
- You are surrounded by darkness!
- You read a cursed scroll, or a scroll of any beatitude while confused. Messages that may be appended depending if you are wielding a light source:
- Your <light source> goes out!
- Your <candle>'s flame is extinguished.
- Your light source is extinguished.
- Suddenly, the only light left comes from Sunsword!
- You are wielding Sunsword.
Creating a yellow or black light when confused was added in NetHack 3.6.0. Older versions of NetHack and variants will not have this behavior, and will always darken the room.
In UnNetHack, reading a scroll of light while confused has a different effect than reading a cursed scroll. If blessed or uncursed, it will summon 5-10 Yellow lights scattered throughout the level. If the scroll is cursed, it will instead summon up to 15 Black lights.
While useful for lighting up a single room, a more efficient option is using a wand of light, spellbook of light, or a lamp, brass lantern or other light source. Therefore, this scroll is a good candidate for blanking.