Scroll of light
|Base price||50 zm|
|Ink to write||4-7|
|Monster use||Will not be used by monsters.|
The scroll of light can generate light or darkness.
Reading the scroll will cause the following effects:
|uncursed||creates a 5-unit radius of light|
|blessed||creates a 9-unit radius of light|
|cursed||creates a 5-unit radius of darkness|
- A lit field surrounds you!
- You read a blessed or uncursed scroll.
- You are surrounded by darkness!
- You read a cursed scroll, or a scroll of any beatitude while confused.
If you are using a light source while creating darkness, one of the following messages may be appended:
- Your <light source> goes out!
- Your <candle>'s flame is extinguished.
- Your light source is extinguished.
- Suddenly, the only light left comes from Sunsword!
- You are wielding Sunsword.
Creating a yellow or black light when confused was added in NetHack 3.6.0. Older versions of NetHack and variants will not have this behavior, and will always darken the room.
While useful for lighting up a single room, a more efficient option is using a wand of light, spellbook of light, or a lamp, brass lantern or other light source. Therefore, this scroll is a good candidate for blanking.
In UnNetHack, reading a scroll of light while confused has a different effect than reading a cursed scroll. If blessed or uncursed, it will summon 5-10 yellow lights scattered throughout the level. If the scroll is cursed, it will instead summon up to 15 black lights.