Talk:Scroll of light

From NetHackWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Scroll behaviour in 3.6.0

The source is:

   if (!confused || rn2(5)) {
       // generate light or dark field
       // darkness is generated if the scroll is cursed or the player is confused  
   } else {
       // generate yellow or black light

If the player is confused, !confused is always false, while rn2(5) has 80% chance to be true, therefore there is 20% chance to generate a monster. If the player is not confused, !confused is always true, so the scroll never generates a monster.

--Nethacker (talk) 08:25, 4 July 2016 (UTC) Changed: --Nethacker (talk) 08:31, 4 July 2016 (UTC)

Confused scroll of light and polymorph magic

Now that a scroll of light creates pets if read while confused (in NetHack 3.7), how about zapping them with a wand of polymorph or leading them onto a polymorph trap? This sounds like a risky, but potentially quite powerful tactic. - Andrio Celos (talk) 06:15, 9 April 2020 (UTC)

Do they remain cancelled in their new form, though? --Umbire the Phantom (talk) 06:24, 9 April 2020 (UTC)
Yes, they do remain cancelled. - Andrio Celos (talk) 06:29, 9 April 2020 (UTC)
Then there's the rub - cancelling handicaps some of the more powerful valid polyforms, iirc. --Umbire the Phantom (talk) 07:40, 9 April 2020 (UTC)
I disagree, it should be quite easy to get pets that are able to kill a shopkeeper this way. I don't see how a mind flayer or balrog would be handicapped by this. Definitely a noteworthy strategy.--Luxidream (talk) 16:46, 9 April 2020 (UTC)
Nah, was thinking more along the order of spellcasting to heal self, haste self, things of that nature. If it's just overpowering enemies or shopkeepers then sure. --Umbire the Phantom (talk) 16:50, 9 April 2020 (UTC)