NetHack 3.6.1 is incomplete, and no official binaries are available. However, the DevTeam has made the Git repository of the source code available, providing instructions on the official site. Additionally, the source code is available to browse on GitHub. These allow anyone to download and build a copy of 3.6.1.
nethack.alt.org has 3.6.1 available for playing, though it warns that there may be undiscovered bugs. hardfought.org (HDF) also hosts 3.6.1, with regular updates so players can experience 'bleeding edge' patches and functionality - last build Wed Sep 27 11:22:38 2017.
This list may be outdated by new changes; the documented list of changes is visible here.
- Many bug fixes, including:
- Genociding vampires kills shapeshifted vampires instead of making them unkillable.
- Sleep resistance is now respected when reading a dull spellbook.
- Closing a loophole that allowed you to generate free credit in shops.
- Preventing the chest in the castle with the wand of wishing from being generated as trapped.
- Chameleons that imitate vampires now eventually shapeshift into another random monster instead of staying in that form.
- Gelatinous cubes won't eat scrolls of scare monster.
- Fire and cold explosions from the fireball or cone of cold spells don't disregard walls anymore.
- Preventing diagonal jumping through an open doorway.
- When traveling, displace pets if they can be displaced, instead of stopping.
- Autopickup no longer works on unpaid items in shops.
- Monsters forget where they have stepped when they flee, meaning that they no longer have a tendency to get "stuck".
- Globs of black pudding can now give intrinsics.
- The : command always gives a message (overriding any
- Barbarians and samurai can now enhance their special spell's school (escape and divination respectively) to Basic.
- Undetected hiding monsters will be automatically detected when you move next to them and have warning.
- The Wizard of Yendor will steal any quest artifact, not just your role's. This means that relying on another role's quest artifact for magic resistance is no longer a safe strategy.
- In the inventory screen, leashes now show which monster they are attached to.
- If you have lycanthropy, eating the class of creature you turn into is considered cannibalism.
- Lembas wafers now give 200 more nutrition to elves and 200 less nutrition to orcs. Cram rations give 100 more nutrition to dwarves.
- Mazes may now generate with wide corridors or thick walls, and dead ends may be converted into loops.
- Several artifact weapons now have beneficial properties when wielded:
- Several further changes to Elbereth:
- It must be the only text on the square
- It will not erode or try to erode when scaring a monster
- It will immediately vanish when the player makes a hostile action, such as attacking, firing, or zapping a wand, additionally causing an alignment penalty.
- Naming Sting or Orcrist breaks illiterate conduct.
- Iron bars can be dissolved by wielding a potion of acid and fighting the bars.
- Poison breath attacks leave a trail of poison gas.
- Stoning, strangulation, deafness, levitation, flying, and riding are all now shown on the status line.
- The vibrating square now appears as ~ instead of ^.
- Werejackals can summon foxes and coyotes in addition to jackals. Werewolves can summon wargs in addition to wolves.
- Monkeys and apes can be tamed with bananas.
- The extended #turn command takes less time as your experience level increases.
- Horses are rarely generated with a saddle.
- A warning is given before levitation from the spell or potion is about to expire.