Scroll of fire
|Base price||100 zm|
|Ink to write||4–7|
|Monster use||Will not be used by monsters.|
The scroll of fire causes an explosion of fire.
The scroll self-identifies when read. If you have the option to price identify scrolls, this scroll has the same price as another dangerous scroll, the scroll of destroy armor. Remove armor and drop scrolls, spellbooks and potions before reading these scrolls in this price range to minimize damage to your inventory. Stand at least one square away from vulnerable items so that the items don't take collateral damage. Reading the scroll near peaceful creatures (such as shopkeepers and aligned priests) will anger them, so when identifying them do so away from them. In a shop, the damage from this scroll may affect nearby fire-vulnerable items, which you will be liable to pay for.
Reading an uncursed scroll of fire creates an explosion of fire in a 3×3 square area centered on the player. This deals 2–3 fire damage to you and any monsters around you, doubled if a creature has resistance to cold but not to fire (such as a blue jelly). Acting as a weak fireball, it boils potions, damages worn armor, and burns scrolls and spellbooks in your inventory, monster inventories, and on the ground. You are unaffected if fire resistant, and your armor is safe if fireproof.
Reading a cursed scroll has the same effect as an uncursed scroll, but only deals 1–2 damage to each target.
If read while confused and not fire resistant, you instead lose 1 HP with no effect on your inventory or your gloves.
Reading the scroll gives the following messages:
- This is a scroll of fire!
- The scroll is blessed and was just use-identified.
- The scroll erupts in a tower of flame!
- Standard effect.
- Where do you want to center the explosion?
- The scroll is blessed. You are prompted for a nearby square.
- The water around you vaporizes violently!
- You were underwater.
- Oh, look, what a pretty fire in your <hands>.
- You were confused, fire-resistant, and unblind.
- You feel a pleasant warmth in your <hands>.
- You were confused, fire-resistant, and blind.
- The scroll catches fire and you burn your <hands>.
- You were confused and not fire-resistant.
- The slime that covers you is burned away!
- You were turning into a green slime, but the process was stopped.