MSGTYPE is an option introduced in NetHack 3.6.0 which adds configuration options allowing the user to change how messages are displayed. For specific messages, it can force a --More-- prompt, prevent messages from printing repeatedly, or prevent unimportant messages from printing at all.
The format is
MSGTYPE=foo "string to match"
Where "foo" is one of "hide", "stop" or "norep", and the string to match is a message to be matched. Regular expressions are supported.
- "hide" hides the message, so it's never shown.
- "stop" always prompts for --More-- after the message.
- "norep" shows the message, but not again if no other message is shown in between.
- "show" shows the message, each time. This is the default, and probably never needs to be explicitly configured.
When multiple string expressions match a message, the last matching rule is used. Thus, put the general cases first, and exceptions below.
MSGTYPE can be used to:
- call attention to delayed instadeaths.
- kill typeahead in dangerous or conduct-wrecking situations.
- focus attention on the important parts of battle by removing the less serious "spam".
- reduce the amount of spaces you need to type for common actions.
- ignore functionally useless common messages.
You might want different configurations for different stages of the game.
# displacing pets MSGTYPE=hide "You swap places with .*" # unclogging the screen MSGTYPE=hide "Your tentacles suck the .*" # items on floor MSGTYPE=norep "You see here a.*" # delayed instadeaths MSGTYPE=stop "The .* (grabs|swings itself around) you!" MSGTYPE=stop "You don't feel very well." MSGTYPE=stop "You are turning a little green." MSGTYPE=stop "Your limbs are getting oozy." MSGTYPE=stop "Your skin begins to peel away." MSGTYPE=stop "You are turning into a green slime." MSGTYPE=stop "You are slowing down." MSGTYPE=stop "Your limbs are stiffening." MSGTYPE=stop "It constricts your throat!" MSGTYPE=stop "You find it hard to breathe." MSGTYPE=stop "You're gasping for air." MSGTYPE=stop "Your blood is having trouble reaching your brain." MSGTYPE=stop "You can no longer breathe." MSGTYPE=stop "You're turning blue." MSGTYPE=stop "Your consciousness is fading." MSGTYPE=stop "You feel deathly sick." MSGTYPE=stop "You feel (much|even) worse." # Things that aren't dangerous by themselves but could kill you if you don't notice. MSGTYPE=stop "You fail to cast the spell correctly." MSGTYPE=stop "You see here a c(hi|o)ckatrice corpse." MSGTYPE=stop "You are beginning to feel weak." # Don't speed past wrest message when wresting MSGTYPE=stop "You wrest .*" # Don't miss the vibrating square MSGTYPE=stop "You feel a strange vibration under your *." MSGTYPE=stop "You feel a strange vibration beneath you."