|Damage vs. small||1d6|
|Damage vs. large||1d4|
|Base price||8 zm|
Axes are throwable.
Axes as tools
Applying an axe to a door is a safer way to open it than kicking it, because an axe will never destroy a shop door ("This door seems too hard to chop through.") This spares you a 400-zorkmid bill for damages.
Chopping down a tree has a 20% chance of generating a random fruit, even if you already got fruit from the tree by kicking it . Doing this within view of a Minetown watchman will anger him ("Halt, vandal! You're under arrest!")
It is not (currently) possible to apply an axe to a corpse.
"For ev'ry silver ringing blow,
Cities and palaces shall grow!"
"Bite deep and wide, O Axe, the tree,
Tell wider prophecies to me."
"When rust hath gnaw'd me deep and red,
A nation strong shall lift his head.
"His crown the very Heav'ns shall smite,
Aeons shall build him in his might."
"Bite deep and wide, O Axe, the tree;
Bright Seer, help on thy prophecy!"
- src/weapon.c in NetHack 3.6.0, line 327
- src/eat.c in NetHack 3.6.0, line 1440
- src/dig.c in NetHack 3.6.0, line 400
- src/u_init.c in NetHack 3.6.0, line 673
- src/makemon.c in NetHack 3.6.0, line 329
- src/makemon.c in NetHack 3.6.0, line 272