From NetHackWiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
For the Samurai class title, see Samurai.

The Ninja is a monster in NetHack that is notable as the only non-unique, non-randomly-generated hostile monsters to appear on a Quest.


They appear only during the Samurai quest, and are generated on the home level, the Shogun's castle, and the keep of the quest nemesis, Ashikaga Takauji.

As of NetHack 3.6.0, ninjas are generated with 6-11 shuriken (75% chance) or darts (25% chance), and a short sword (75% chance) or axe (25% chance) as their main weapon.


They are an excellent source of the otherwise extremely rare shuriken for samurai.


There was once a Ninja role, which was replaced by the Rogue role from NetHack 3.0.0 on.

This page may need to be updated for the current version of NetHack.

It may contain text specific to NetHack 3.6.4. Information on this page may be out of date.

Editors: After reviewing this page and making necessary edits, please change the {{nethack-364}} tag to the current version's tag or {{noversion}} as appropriate.