Dwarvish short sword
|dwarvish short sword
|broad short sword
|Damage vs. small
|Damage vs. large
Player dwarves start the game with knowledge of the dwarvish short sword. Any dwarven character that would start the game with a short sword will start with a dwarvish short sword instead - currently, there are no applicable roles where this substitution would occur.
Dwarvish short swords make up about 0.2% of randomly generated weapons. In addition to random generation, weapon shops and general stores can stock dwarvish short swords.
Live dwarves have a 1⁄4 chance of being generated with a dwarvish short sword. Player monsters, including those on the Astral Plane, have a chance lower than 1% of generating with a dwarvish short sword as their initial weapon before role-based replacements.
The dwarvish short sword is a good early-game weapon for roles capable of training the skill, and can even serve as a decent off-hand weapon when twoweaponing.
The dwarvish short sword first appears in NetHack 3.0.0.
In SLASH'EM, upgrading a short sword, elven short sword, or dark elven short sword will produce a dwarvish short sword, and upgrading a dwarvish short sword will produce either an elven short sword or a dark elven short sword.
- A dwarvish short sword can be combined with an axe to create a dwarvish bearded axe.
- A dwarvish short sword can be combined with a pick-axe to create a dwarvish mattock.
- A dwarvish short sword can be combined with a helmet to create a dwarvish helm.
- A dwarvish short sword can be combined with a pair of gauntlets to create a pair of dwarvish boots.
- src/u_init.c in NetHack 3.6.7, line 838
- src/u_init.c in NetHack 3.6.7, line 225: Race-based substitutions for initial inventory
- src/makemon.c in NetHack 3.6.7, line 373
- src/mplayer.c in NetHack 3.6.7, line 155: 1⁄2 to get a random weapon - the designated range of objects covers weapons from the spear to the bullwhip inclusively in objects.c, and uses normal generation odds