Orcish short sword
|Name||orcish short sword|
|Appearance||crude short sword|
|Damage vs. small||1d5|
|Damage vs. large||1d8|
|Weapon skill||short sword|
|Base price||10 zm|
Player orcs start the game with knowledge of the orcish short sword. Orcish Barbarians have a 1⁄2 chance of starting the game with a +0 orcish short sword as their one-handed weapon, and orcish Rogues start the game with an orcish short sword as their primary weapon.
Orcish short swords make up about 0.3% of randomly generated weapons.
Uruk-hai have a 1⁄3 chance of being generated with an orcish short sword, and orc-captains have an effective 1⁄6 chance of generating with an orcish short sword. Player monsters, including those on the Astral Plane, have a chance lower than 1% of generating with an orcish short sword as their initial weapon before role-based replacements.
The orcish short sword is the weakest of the short swords against small monsters.
The orcish short sword first appears in NetHack 3.0.0.
- An orcish short sword can be combined with a knife to create an orcish scimitar.
- Two orcish short swords can be combined to create an orcish long sword.
- An orcish short sword can be combined with gauntlets to create orcish boots.
In SlashTHEM, in addition to SLASH'EM details, the Lunatic starts each game with a +0 orcish short sword, and Doomblade is their guaranteed first sacrifice gift. Slow Blade is an artifact short sword that has +2 to-hit and +9 damage versus all monsters, and is designed to be the 'opposite' of Quick Blade.
In Hack'EM, upgrading an orcish short sword will produce a short sword as in SLASH'EM, and upgrading a dwarvish short sword will produce an orcish short sword. Forging recipes are the same as in EvilHack.
Hack'EM also retains Doomblade from SLASH'EM.
- src/u_init.c in NetHack 3.6.7, line 854
- src/u_init.c in NetHack 3.6.7, line 215: Race-based substitutions for initial inventory
- src/u_init.c in NetHack 3.6.7, line 43
- src/u_init.c in NetHack 3.6.7, line 124
- src/makemon.c in NetHack 3.6.7, line 416: armor and weapons for Uruk-Hai
- src/makemon.c in NetHack 3.6.7, line 400: switch for orc-captains
- src/mplayer.c in NetHack 3.6.7, line 155: 1⁄2 to get a random weapon - the designated range of objects covers weapons from the spear to the bullwhip inclusively in objects.c, and uses normal generation odds
- makemon.c in SLASH'EM 0.0.7E7F2, line 851