Fragile items may break! They shatter or splat when
- Hit with a force bolt
- Hit with a wand of striking
- When thrown
- When kicked
- When dropped from a height (from levitating, or down stairs).
Items in your inventory are safe from shattering.
The fragile items include
- Mirrors except the Magic Mirror of Merlin
- Lenses except for The Eyes of the Overworld
- Crystal balls except for the artifact ones
- Wands with the description "glass" or "crystal".
- Expensive cameras
- Cream pies
- Crystal plate mail
- The source code also recognises venom as fragile.
Breaking mirrors, or eggs laid by you carries a Luck penalty.
Fragile items inside containers can break when the container is kicked, thrown or otherwise abused. However, the algorithm used in this case is slightly different (see container_impact_dmg in dokick.c): cameras, melons and pies will never break, eggs have 1/3 chance of being damaged, and other fragile objects break with 67% chance. For stackable items, each damaged stack will lose only one item. Items inside a bag of holding or a nested bag are immune.