A graveyard (also called a crypt or morgue) is a special room that contains undead, demons, corpses, chests, boxes and graves. This is one of the few times major demons will be randomly generated outside Gehennom. The chance any given monster is a demon is (dungeon level - 11)/(10* dungeon level).
A graveyard level is a level where undead creatures are less likely to leave corpses (1/9 as likely if killed by you, and 1/3 if otherwise). All levels with a graveyard room are considered graveyard levels. However, some levels without graveyard rooms are also considered graveyard levels:
- The Castle
- The top and bottom levels of the Wizard of Yendor's Tower
- Levels on which you have summoned undead with the cursed Book of the Dead or Bell of Opening
In a regular rooms-and-corridors level of dungeon level 12 or below, a graveyard has a 1/6 chance of being generated assuming there are no shops, throne rooms, leprechaun halls, zoos, temples or beehives.
Special levels with graveyards
- the Valley of the Dead
- Moloch's Sanctum
- the three special levels in the tourist quest
- and all levels of the priest quest
- You suddenly realize it is unnaturally quiet.
- The <hair> on the back of your <neck> stands up.
- There is a graveyard
- The <hair> on your <head> seems to stand up.
- There is a graveyard, and you are hallucinating
- You have an uncanny feeling...
- You are entering a graveyard between 01:00 and 23:59
- <Run> away! <Run> away!
- You are entering a graveyard between 00:00 and 00:59. Note that undead deal twice normal damage between these times.
Wraith corpses are highly desirable. Some players lure wraiths away from graveyard levels before killing them. Note that the Castle is considered a graveyard level, making luring wraiths up from the Valley of the Dead more difficult.