Forum:Slash'em for the first time
I'm giving Slash'em a try for the first time and was hoping to get some advice. I'm an experienced NetHack player, having ascended most roles. I'm not an expert - I wouldn't even know how to try for a foodless or illiterate conduct, but I know a few tricks. Obviously, there are a lot of new items, special levels and whatnot, but are there any fundamental differences that I should be aware of? What's a good class/race to start with? The majority of my NetHack ascensions were wizards, followed by valks, a couple monks and knights and the rest just 1 to do it. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks! -184.108.40.206 16:50, 7 September 2011 (UTC)
- My personal preference for Slash'em is the Doppelganger Monk. Being a dopp gives a lot of versitility and it helps protect against polymorph traps. Monks also get a lot of techniques and the Gauntlets of Defense as their first sacrifice gift. You'll want to watch out for the following classes of creatures:
- a: A bunch of new insects, including the Migo Queen, which drain intelligence like mind flayers , the strong and tough killer beetles, and the fast and deadly assassin bug.
- n: Pixies are invisible nymphs, super-fast quicklings, spell-casting brownies, and the unique Aphrodite.
- q: Jumbo the Elephant appears as a unique in a randomly spawned room, and the catoblepas has an instant death gaze attack.
- A: Deva, Planetars, and Solars, all powerful angels.
- P: Shoggoths and their giant versions are fast, do heavy damage, and can corrode your stuff.
- V: Vampire Mages exist here, Fire Vampires can do heavy damage and burn stuff, and don't forget Star Vampires.
- Z: Ghouls are here along with mages and queens, powerful spellcasters that make undead much more deadly.
- ': Steel Golems can disenchant your stuff, and new gemstone golems show up with deadly breath attacks.
- New Uniques: The High Priest of Moloch? Yeah, he's been replaced with Cthulhu. Also, look out for Vecna the powerful lich, One-eyed Sam the black marketeer who hates theives, and many more. For more help, go to Standard Strategy - SLASH'EM
--220.127.116.11 23:20, 8 September 2011 (UTC)