Wand of opening
- Opening redirects here. For the invocation artifact, see Bell of Opening. For the opening to the game, see Introduction.
|Base price||150 zm|
|Monster use||Will not be used by monsters.|
Effect (wand of opening and knock)
Except where noted, a wand of opening will be identified if it had any effect and you can observe the effect (e.g., you can see the affected object).
- Monster regurgitates the player if engulfed.
- Removes monster's saddle, if worn, dropping it on the monster's square (including your steed's saddle if you zap downward while riding).
Regardless, if the zap strikes any monster, the monster does not necessarily get an immediate chance to attack the player, as it would with most spell strikes. This will not identify a wand of opening.
On movable objects
- Striking a punished player's chain (but not the ball) will unpunish you.
- Unlocks large boxes and chests ("Klick!") and fixes the lock if broken.
Either of these effects will identify a wand of opening, even if the affected object cannot be seen.
On immovable objects
- Reveals and unlocks hidden doors ("A door appears in the wall!"), and unlocks non-hidden doors ("The door unlocks!"). The door remains closed.
- Interrupts attempts to break down a door with a pickaxe or mattock, and repairs the door.
- If you zap up or down while on a closed portcullis (possible with phasing), it will open.
- If you zap down while on the quest level's down stairs before your leader permits you to go on the quest, you will receive the message "The stairs seem to ripple momentarily." and the wand will be identified.
- Opens drawbridges.
- Zap.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 239
- Zap.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 246
- zap_steed in Zap.c
- Zap.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 238
- Zap.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 1491
- Zap.c#line1589, Lock.c#boxlock
- Zap.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 1593
- Zap.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 2100
- doorlock in Lock.c
- doorlock in Lock.c
- Zap.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 2316
- Zap.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 2320
- Zap.c in NetHack 3.4.3, line 2678