Spellbook of knock
|spellbook of |
|Base price||100 zm|
|Turns to read||1|
|Ink to write||5–9|
|Power cost||5 Pw|
|Equivalent||wand of opening|
Reading a spellbook of knock allows the player to cast the knock spell. This will unlock doors and containers, as well as revealing hidden doors. The effect is an exact duplicate of that of the wand of opening.
Since a lock pick or skeleton key has a similar effect but doesn't cost power, this spell is almost useless, and is usually thrown away, polypiled, or overwritten. However, it has a few marginal uses:
- It trains matter spell skill, which is useful in preparation for casting more powerful matter spells later (notably polymorph).
- It opens the Castle drawbridge without needing an instrument to play the passtune.
- It exposes secret doors whose locations are known to the player but not the character (on special levels, for example).
- It unlocks doors at a distance and slightly faster than a key would manage. Because of this, it might be useful on the Astral Plane, though a wand of digging is better because it will raze the doors.
- It causes engulfing monsters to expel you, making it useful on the Plane of Air.
- It can free you from a bear trap or a web.