The original Rogue game featured a thief who entered the dungeon to steal the Amulet of Yendor. A free clone called Hack retained the Amulet, but introduced some features including a pet dog and multiple roles (classes). The six roles in Hack are Tourist, Speleologist, Fighter, Knight, Cave-man, and Wizard.
List of roguelike games
- ToME: Troubles/Tales of Middle Earth
- ...and so many other Angband variants
- Linley's Dungeon Crawl
- Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
- SLASH'EM - Super Lotsa Added Stuff Hack - Extended Magic
- NetHack brass
- JNetHack - Japanese derivative of NetHack. The older version (based on NetHack 3.2.2) by Issei Numata is here. In addition, beta versions of JSLASH'EM is also available now.
- Nethack en Español - NetHack translated into Spanish.
- see other Variants derived from Nethack on a separate page
- The Caves of Larn
- Ultra Larn
- ADOM: Ancient Domains Of Mystery
- IVAN: Iter Vehemens ad Necem
- Mysterious Dungeon - A long-running series of commercial roguelikes.
- Dwarf Fortress
Though Diablo borrowed much from the roguelike genre, it is not usually considered a roguelike itself. There is a roguelike based on it, however.
RogueBasin also has a more complete list of roguelikes.