I need some help with the map; I can't get it to format and I can't see any codes embedded in the various other maps I've checked on the site. nowiki tags don't seem to help. What's the secret?--Ckbryant 19:35, 5 January 2009 (UTC)
- The secret is to start every line of the pre-formatted block with a space. There are probably other ways to do it such as using <blockquote> or <pre> (such as in HTML), but the leading space thing is how all the ones I've seen on the wiki do it. --Marcmagus 19:46, 5 January 2009 (UTC)
- That's a pretty good secret. Thanks for sharing!--Ckbryant 20:30, 5 January 2009 (UTC)
Why would one ever fight Asmodeus?
Question: except for trying to lure Asmodeus down to kill the high priest, why would you ever fight him instead of paying him? Gold is in abundance in Gehennom. Here's 1000 z-bucks and be gone! --Davek (talk) 11:54, 11 July 2014 (UTC)
- In fact, you never need to pay more than 3 zm: just make sure that's all you have in open inventory when you go in, and he'll ask you for 1 or 2 and "vanish, laughing at cowardly mortals" while you laugh at him for being so dumb.
- The only reasons I can think of are wanting to have him on your vanquished monsters list (maybe a factor for newer players, or of course extinctionists), wanting to use him to kill the high priest (as you mentioned), or annoying him on accident (by carrying Excalibur, or going in with no gold in open inventory). --Scorchgeek (talk) 16:15, 29 September 2015 (UTC)
- Carying Excalibur when the level is generated makes him non-bribable, which forces you to fight him. Also, if you have the resistances and think you can fight him, lawful characters can roleplay the "cleanse this hellish place & all of the fiendish monsters within it" mindset. --Jubilex (talk) 21:03, 29 September 2015 (UTC)
- For what it's worth, "when the level is generated" isn't quite accurate -- I just did a test in wizard mode where I entered the level with Excalibur, moved for a couple of spaces, then dropped it and teleported over to the lair, and he offered to take my money. I haven't investigated further than that, but I think it's when he wakes up rather than when you enter the level that the check is made. --Scorchgeek (talk) 23:36, 29 September 2015 (UTC)