Talk:The Heart of Ahriman
If I have a boots of levitation and the heart can be invoked, I'm better off choosing the heart to levitate, right? Boots or Rings require that I remove something else that's useful, and put on the levitation device, and then when I'm done remove the levitation device and put on the ring of free action or speed boots. Furthermore, before Rodney has been woken up, the heart is less likely to be removed by a monster while worn boots/rings might be removed by a foocubus, right? (As an aside, can such a foocubus encounter cause drowning? If not, why not, If so, why is that not listed under drowning?) Derekt75 16:58, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- I'd say it might be preferable to the boots, but certainly not to the ring. The problem is that you can't re-invoke it immediately, which can be inconvenient at times, particularly if you're using levitation to avoid holes and trap doors in Gehennom. But boots are quite inconvenient: they take longer to change, they're probably not well enchanted, they will replace an item that gives you needed speed... As for the ring, a ring of free action is more of a nicety than a necessity, and you generally have pretty ample warning before you'll need it.
- As for boots and/or rings being removed by a foocubus: for the ring, that's only a threat to female characters, and can be avoided by wearing the ring on your right hand (the incubus always puts it on your left). The threat for boots can only be avoided by having a charisma of 20, which in vanilla is only possible through rings of adornment, I believe. Yet another reason why the Heart may be preferable to boots, but I still think the ring is preferable to both. And yes, foocubus encounters over water or lava can indeed lead to a wet or fiery death. -Ion frigate 21:34, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- A foocubus stealing your boots or removing your ring won't drown you if you are next to land. A nymph doing the same will if it removes your worn boots. -- Qazmlpok 23:57, 22 September 2011 (UTC)
- Okay, so a ring of levitation is clearly a better thing to have than the Heart. but if I'm a barbarian that finished the quest and I need to levitate, I may as well use the heart to levitate, right? Derekt75 18:13, 23 September 2011 (UTC)
- It just turns into an ordinary meatball. I tried it in wizmode, and it doesn't even retain the name. Having "a meatball named The Heart of Ahriman" would've been kind of hilarious, but alas, you just get "a meatball". I suppose you can re-name it yourself, but it's jut not quite the same. —Ilmari Karonen (talk) 03:18, 1 February 2015 (UTC)