Wait! is the beginning of several messages relating to attempting to walk where a previously unnoticed monster is hiding. These include:
- Wait! That's a foo!
- This is one of the messages used for mimics and the Wizard of Yendor's clone after using Double Trouble.
- Wait! There's a foo hiding under <an item>!
- This is used for spiders, snakes, and other monsters capable of hiding under items.
- This is used for sea monsters hiding in water.
- Wait! There's something there you can't see!
- This is used for monsters that are either invisible or unseen to you while blind.
- Wait, foo! That <item> is really a <role> named <player>!
- YAFM that occurs when you are temporarily mimicking an object after eating a mimic corpse, and a monster attempts to attack you.
- Wait, foo! That's a <polyform> named <player>!
- Used in similar circumstances to the above message, when the player is polymorphed into a mimic and has used #monster to mimic an item.
- Wait, foo! There's a <polyform> named <player> hiding under <an item>!
- Used when a monster tries to attack a polymorphed player hiding under an item.
- Used when a monster tries to attack a hidden player polymorphed into an eel or trapper.
There is also a demonic malediction that goes, "Wait! I shall polymorph into a grid bug to give thee a fighting chance!"