Talk:Heaven or Hell
I keep seeing this mode mentioned during my exploration of various servers and development versions, but still don't know very much about it.
Could someone who knows what this is create the article?
The one thing I can add is that in UnNetHack, if you are playing HoH mode, you start the game with Amulets of Life-Saving pre-identified.
If I recall details correctly, this is HoH mode in a nutshell:
- Everything has 1 hp, including you.
- Traps do not damage you, at least not directly (might indirectly but I don't know for sure).
- Thrown potions do not damage you.
- You have three lives. If you die without wearing an amulet of life saving, you lose a life. A brief prayer effect makes sure you don't lose another life before you get your next action.
- You have permanent warning that shows every hostile monster (even the weak ones that normal warning does not)
- Like mentioned, you pre-identify amulet of life saving
- The mode is turned on by writing OPTIONS=heaven_or_hell in the configuration file (the UnNetHack server has a more friendly way to turn it on but I don't remember how)
- ...there are probably some more small details I have forgotten
I originally created Heaven or Hell for AceHack as a silly experiment (I think that was maybe 2011 or 2012? The mode can be found on acehack.de in addition to un.nethack.nu). There's also a HaH mode (Hell and Hell, OPTIONS=hell_and_hell) that is the same as Heaven or Hell except that only you have 1 hp; all the monsters have normal hp.
No one has ever ascended in HoH mode but players have got as far as beating Vlad and doing the quest.
I'd wikify the above information as a page but I don't quite feel like doing that. Please don't pitchfork me.
Thanks! That is really helpful.
Junethack had a heaven or hell trophy, but no one won it this year.
I may try to wikify this info, but then bcode would probably have to fix it - I really don't have all the formatting down yet.