This page is not very good. --Someone Else 00:05, 17 November 2006 (UTC)
Need to add whatever "You hear a distant explosion." stands for Yidda 21:17, 2 April 2007 (UTC)
- "You hear a distant explosion." means that a monster has opened a trapped door or stepped on a landmine...
- 22.214.171.124 04:51, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
- Why do people write this instead of just adding it...
- Addps4cat 06:18, 1 December 2007 (UTC)
I'm not sure why "The following messages are associated with..." fell off of this page/got edited out.. people should check out the You_feel page for a good format and sub-categories. This page seems to have lost a bit of helpful formatting. Signed the semi-anonymous person who started this page.
Sound should redir to this
Old Talk:Sound discussion
i can't find "dungeon acoustics" this way (even typing in the whole thing)
Merge with You hear
There is a use for Sound... "NetHack has no sound in the sense of audio-output from speakers" is not strictly accurate. There is a sound option available in the configuration file, e.g.
SOUND=MESG "*cash register*" "cashreg.wav" 50
SOUND=MESG "*water fall*" "water.wav" 50
SOUND=MESG "*footsteps of*" "tapdance.wav" 50
SOUND=MESG "*slow dri*" "flush.wav" 50
SOUND=MESG "*feel hung*" "problem.wav" 50
SOUND=MESG "*hear a door*" "door.wav" 50
Mostly just decoration but I like to be alerted to "feel hungry" 126.96.36.199 19:51, 2 November 2007 (UTC)
There are a lot of "you hear" messeges
There are so many "you hear" messages, many of which are not included in the page. It is an interesting page, but is it necessary for the wiki? -anonymous
Well, if you know of many that are not included in the page, then add them! Are any pages "necessary"? This is about building helpful and interesting resources.
Should sounds about Oracle be added to the monster section, or maybe under their own headline? I would add them to monsters. Came to thought about this, when I thought to put the 'convulsive ravings' to the monsters.
patch adds audible sound to nethack
Playing SLASH'EM 0.0.7E7F3, got a message Something speaks. "It is about time.". Had warning from the Orb of Weight and didn't see any monsters on the level except the werewolf I just killed. Anyone know what speaks like this? --AileTheAlien 19:28, 8 April 2011 (UTC)
- Source dived, plus remembered that I heard a monster quaffing a potion. Jerk monster wasted my smoky potion trying to gain a level! --AileTheAlien 19:45, 8 April 2011 (UTC)
Awful Gobbling Noise
Playing SLASH'EM 0.0.7E7F3 on Mine's End (Catacomb's version). Heard You hear an awful gobbling noise! Anyone know what causes this? Also, should there be a seperate page for SLASH'EM? --AileTheAlien 05:09, 15 April 2011 (UTC)
- Just wiztested to confirm my suspicion: it's the message you hear when a ghoul or ghast eats an old corpse on the level. If you've already explored the level even somewhat, it just means a lucky ghoul happened upon something you killed. If you haven't yet, it could be a bones level (Mine's End is eligible to leave bones in SLASH'EM). Note, however, that graveyards contain both ghouls and corpses, so for ordinary dungeon levels that sound more likely indicates a nearby graveyard than a bones level.
- As for a separate page for SLASH'EM, it's probably not necessary. A separate section would be nice, however. -Ion frigate 11:04, 15 April 2011 (UTC)