User talk:Phol ende wodan
- 1 Combat comment
- 2 3.6.1 updates
- 3 Orcus
- 4 Can't access irc, rooms stay lit
- 5 Oops re link
- 6 Sorry - any idea which variant I'm thinking of?
- 7 Beautiful song
- 8 Recent instabilities...
- 9 A disappointing "feature"...
- 10 Am I reading the xNetHack page correctly re XP/XL?
- 11 Pickaxes...
- 12 Encyclopedia re materials
- 13 Hungry
- 14 Scale Merge
- 15 A slight monmax_difficulty change possibility
I don't know if you noticed, but I did leave a comment on User talk:Phol ende wodan/Combat system overhaul. It's not a bunch of minor things, but seems to me a major (but likely fixable) problem. --Truculent (talk) 07:56, 10 November 2017 (UTC)
I can use that template, sure, but I'm not certain whether my edits are complete, since I don't have the time or knowledge to do a full source dive. I'm just scanning the readme and Sourceforge commits and confirming what I can from the source. Should I wait until more users have had a look before updating the template? --Darth l33t (talk) 15:45, 28 April 2018 (UTC)
- Nah, if that were the case the templates would never get bumped at all. If there are inconsistencies discovered later, someone can fix them, but the nethack-361 template indicates that someone has looked at it with an eye to 3.6.1. --Phol ende wodan (talk) 15:47, 28 April 2018 (UTC)
I've made some further changes, particularly reordering things to be, well, closer to the way I had them. If you disagree please feel free to change them further, or we could discuss them here - I say here because if we do it on Talk:Orcus we'll have endless rambling interjections. Pinkbeast (talk) 14:18, 21 September 2019 (UTC)
- One minor thing I'd add/change: it's better to mention digging as a way to get to the level below instead of levelporting, since this is generally a much more common resource. --Tone (talk) 15:10, 21 September 2019 (UTC)
- I usually clear Gehennom upwards, so I suppose I think of that as the most common option (but on reflection that's just me). I've added the suggestion of digging down, though, since that's the easiest way to get from Orcustown to Orcustown+1. I should have thought of that; my mistake. Pinkbeast (talk) 15:26, 21 September 2019 (UTC)
Can't access irc, rooms stay lit
Hi, For some reason my rooms are staying lit still. I made sure dark_room is true (it was already) but any tiles in rooms that are "lit" but not in vision look exactly the same as tiles that are in rooms and in vision. I tried with dark_room set to false as well. No change. Unsure what to do. It cost me two runs to accidentally hitting something (my pet and a priest, respectively) with a beam because I didn't realize I didn't see the whole line. I remember you said a parameter to change, I *thought* it was dark_room, but I can't access IRC right now (server connection keeps failing). Thanks, -Greg
Sorry - any idea which variant I'm thinking of?
I'm very sorry about that mistake re xNetHack - I'm quite certain that some variant or another did that, but evidently my interest in xNetHack resulted in my misremembering. -Actual-nh (talk) 22:38, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- No worries. I don't know of any variant that changes that formula, though arguably xNetHack is the most likely to at some point in the future as I do more to remove difficulty scaling on the player's level of various things. But I may not end up touching the actual monster generation formula because so much game balance rests on that. --Phol ende wodan (talk) 23:37, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Understand. (One thought I've had is to base some experience level things - like the cost of protection - on, not current level, but the mean (rounding down) of the current level and the highest level you could get back to with a blessed potion of restore ability.) -Actual-nh (talk) 04:44, 25 December 2020 (UTC)
- Yes. In that group size no longer depends on experience level. https://github.com/copperwater/xnethack/commit/d57c49a7 --Phol ende wodan (talk) 02:16, 10 February 2021 (UTC)
Several things recently encountered:
1) Picking up zorkmids sometimes automatically turns itself off and requires an Options reset.
2) My most recent game had this behavior plus it no longer recognized the pickup_types option and ended with this: https://www.hardfought.org/userdata/e/every2/xnethack/dumplog/1608995512.xnh.txt
3) Looking at my inventory displayed zorkmids both at the top and the bottom of the listing.
- All of those are potentially due to this bug, and should be fixed on hardfought now. Let me know if it continues happening. --Phol ende wodan (talk) 21:06, 26 December 2020 (UTC)
A disappointing "feature"...
Wielding a silver longsword while being crowned doesn't produce a silver Excalibur. Apparently just the vanilla version instead. Aw. Haven't had a chance to test it with the "watery tart" yet though...
- Yeah, this is very intentional and a silver Excalibur will never be possible. I'm not sure it's even possible in any variant that has object materials. Artifacts in xNetHack are always one specific material, and Excalibur's is iron. --Phol ende wodan (talk) 20:52, 14 January 2021 (UTC)
Am I reading the xNetHack page correctly re XP/XL?
Just checking - am I reading the xNetHack page correctly (and it being correct, I assume) that xNetHack is using the FIQHack progression? Otherwise, a new column is needed for the Experience Level tables. Thanks! -Actual-nh (talk) 01:11, 7 February 2021 (UTC)
- Yeah I saw the edit and it looks fine, I checked exper.c and it's consistent with that table (thought FIQHack might have changed it at some point but it hasn't). --Phol ende wodan (talk) 01:19, 7 February 2021 (UTC)
While I know that pickaxes can ruin a weaponless conduct, does xnh consider them to be tools or weapons. And if weapons, are they edged or blunt. Just trying to sort out some materials choices... --Every (talk) 21:50, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
- I haven't really changed much about pickaxes. Like vanilla, they're weapon-tools and thus break weaponless conduct if you hit with them. However, xNetHack will warn you if you're about to break weaponless conduct (with any weapon, not just pickaxes) if you are not a beginner. Also like vanilla, both the dwarvish mattock and pick-axe are blunt weapons, which you can find for any weapon by looking it up in the encyclopedia. Not sure that the bluntness matters though; I haven't implemented a mechanic that would make it matter. --Phol ende wodan (talk) 22:29, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
- So, if a pickaxe is considered blunt by the game, then a gold or platinum pickaxe would receive a +2 damage bonus but a wooden pickaxe would not suffer a -1 damage bonus? --Every (talk) 23:46, 9 March 2021 (UTC)
Encyclopedia re materials
- Saved! Thanks for the suggestion, any help I can get on finding quotations for things the encyclopedia doesn't cover is much appreciated. I'm also going to put this on the SpliceHack etherpad because cold iron is actually a separate material there. --Phol ende wodan (talk) 20:21, 14 March 2021 (UTC)
- Ring probabilities are uniform, so no change there. I think it's just coincidence. --Phol ende wodan (talk) 21:21, 27 March 2021 (UTC)
Tried this for the first time and seems to have worked. I now have yellow-scaled +4 mithril elven ring mail. But it threw this exception:
- Cannot reproduce this. 78 is YELLOW_DRAGON_SCALES and 536870912 is the worn mask for I_SPECIAL. I can't figure out how it got there. Any other information to share on the circumstances? Had you previously used those scales to polymorph into a dragon? --Phol ende wodan (talk) 23:44, 1 April 2021 (UTC)
- Ah, I messed up the first time by attempting to use the vanilla technique. I subsequently spent several hundred turns as a yellow dragon beset by footrices. But after a more careful reading of the changes, I used the prescribed xnh method with the same scales... --Every (talk) 00:00, 2 April 2021 (UTC)
- Additionally, is it possible to wish for a specific type of dragon scales? Say, gray dragon scales with no enchantment specified that could then be melded to existing armor? And if so, can the resulting composite armor then be further enchanted? --Every (talk) 18:59, 29 April 2021 (UTC)