Hi, Soviet5lo! Welcome, and thanks for joining NetHackWiki!
- The How to help and Style guide pages are excellent starting points.
- Special:Recentchanges is a great first stop, because you can see what other people are editing right this minute, and where you can help.
- Questions? Need help? You can ask at the Community Portal, the forum, or on the discussion page associated with each article! Just remember to sign those posts with four tildes: ~~~~. That will expand to create a signature.
We are really happy to have you here, and look forward to working with you!
This is an automated greeting.
A few changes of slashem extended that a find particularly cruel and i think should be reverted in slashtem.
- Altars have a chance of disappearing.
- unicorn horns have a chance of ... turning to dust or blowing up (don't remember what it was). And there is a chance that lost stats aren't fixed.
- Elbereth isn't 100% reliable.
- In the current dev build I haven't pushed yet I've removed the chance of altars disappearing and unicorn horns turning to dust/permanently removing stats and attributes. I want to say that the elbereth thing is okay since elbereth needed a bit of a nerf to begin with, just not as extreme as it was in Slash'EM Extended (all engravings not being permanent, among a few others). --Soviet5lo (talk) 01:34, 7 May 2015 (UTC)
- Good. I think the altar and unicorn thing were quite nasty. I played once, and the altar disappeared before i got my artifact O_O .
- According to Role difficulty/Variants, a wizard in slashem is alredy at 5% ascension rate(i think it is an under estimate, it's not really that bad), other roles rates are also quite bad.
- You say you never ascended, i normally can ascend a wizard in slash'em, i wouldn't try to guess my ascension rate though ( beater then 5%). When you'll make your changes i'll try to ascend a wizard in slashthem(with some save scumming :P, when i started playing slashem, i even ate an asphinx B[). Magicbane's ability to engrave Elbereth is very important, you can't use magic until the mid game, the wizard is a bad fighter with low HP and you can't use magic with dragon mail. Nerfing Elbereth, nerfs Magicbane and also makes the early game harder for weak fighter classes.
- Magicbane is very important for an early wizard, athames start appearing when the player doesn't really need them, in the early game wands that can engrave are rare with limited charges and dust engravings are alredy very unreliable in them selves. Elbereth loses most of it's usefulness when a character reaches the mid game. It is still useful for very nasty monsters, like mind flayers though.
- Ranged attacks in Slash'EM Extended have actually been buffed considerably. I like Sporkhack's method of nerfing Elbereth, but considering the large amount of "cheap" monsters added by Slash'EM Extended...perhaps it would be best to revert Elbereth behavior back to the way it is in Vanilla/Slash'EM for now. After I do a mass role/race/object/monster cleanup in a month or so, we'll see if it's overpowered or not. Maybe if I do end up re-nerfing it, I'll add a define in config.h that can toggle the nerf on/off. How does that sound? --Soviet5lo (talk) 03:00, 8 May 2015 (UTC)
- Sporkhack correlates the success of Elbereth with monster level, yes. Weak monsters it works 100% of the time, with more difficult monsters its a bit harder to use successfully but not to the point where it's completely useless to even attempt. I'll juggle a few ideas to see if there's any better approaches to this. --Soviet5lo (talk) 07:52, 8 May 2015 (UTC)
- Sporkhack's algorithm is to roll a d100 die and check if the result is lower than the resistance percentage, which is calculated as (Monster Level * 1.5) - 3 if the monster level is below 10, and Monster Level * 2.0 otherwise. A Level 50 monster would always ignore Elbereth, in that case. As for adding it to the pokedex I'm not sure, I haven't really looked into its function all that much. --Soviet5lo (talk) 04:29, 9 May 2015 (UTC)
Rehello :P I played for a while, and now i'm in the mid game(without cheating). I think elbereth could be nerfed. There is illness resistance that could deal with demogorgon. Vecna is basically a tougher lich (i didn't killed him yet). I had to fight an arch-Lich and he reduced my streaght from 8.07 to 8, then the unicorn horn said "you feel great" at 8.05. Thats normal? Because of all the new monsters, unicorns are rare, so it's an annoyance when the horns turn to dust. I have only one spare left. And because of all the new scrolls, enchant weapon is quite rare, i didn't bother enchanting it either. Maybe you should revert the turn to dust for unicorns.--Quantum Immortal (talk) 18:23, 3 June 2015 (UTC)
Wizard with "-uwizard -Z"?
The slashem command for wizard mode doesn't work any more.
sudo /usr/local/bin/slashthem -uwizard -Z
- It never worked. In all versions and variants of hack and NetHack since time immemorial, you have had to be a particular user in order to use wizard mode 16:51, 28 May 2015 (UTC)
- It's not to do with version or variant, but OS. The -uwizard check is specific to Windows. Most other platforms do a username check. (Besides, NetHack 4 allows local players to play in wizard mode without further restrictions, so your statement about "all variants" isn't quite correct.) Ais523 (talk) 07:09, 30 May 2015 (UTC)
A bit of a nitpick
First of all, I want to say that I love the idea of this mod, especially making the new classes actually distinct from each other. However, I do have one problem with it. Specifically, I noticed that the Bleeder quest artifact was changed to the Scalpel of the Bloodlettter. However, it's kind of important that the artifact be the Bloody Beauty, due to the text when you defeat the nemesis:
Ultimately, after a long and grueling fight, you have defeated the Bloody Beauties. Severely battered and bleeding heavily, you listen to what they have to say: "Congratulations, <playername>! At last someone managed to defeat us. And as you know, defeat means friendship. We, or one shall rather say, the Bloody Beauty, is yours for the taking. Thanks a lot for this wonderful fight! In the form of the Bloody Beauty, we will accompany you wherever you go, and we hope you'll put us to good use!"