Talk:Bugs in NetHack 3.4.3
- 1 Scope
- 2 Spelling corrections
- 3 Todos
- 4 Confused looting...
- 5 Free Hostile Djinni
- 6 Maze Bones Related Bug?
- 7 Brown Pudding and Removed Armor
- 8 Sacrificing pet of your own race - I want to be sure before I add this
- 9 "The statue of a lichen misses."
- 10 C343-436 - " Hero can levitate and fly where it makes no sense. "
- 11 Stealing worn amulet from engulfing monster - bug or not?
I found a bug that is not listed here: in wizard mode, when hilite_pet is on, when you hit Ctrl+G to create a monster and create any monster with the prefix "tame", the pet is not highlighted before it moves. I reported this to the devteam and they replied that even it is not mentioned in the official bug list, it was found and fixed the X11 interface was being enhanced or overhauled and that the bug I found has been fixed with all systems, not only in X11. So, do you think this article should list it? --ZeroOne 00:30, 23 September 2006 (UTC)
- This list should probably only be for the bugs that appear in the DevTeam's official buglist. But if an article is created about your bug, then I'd definitely file it under Category:Bugs. But I don't feel strongly either way. :) --Eidolos 01:19, 23 September 2006 (UTC)
There are lots of misspellings here, like "ki-rins" (should be ki-rin) and "mimicing" (should be mimicking). Should we fix them, or keep it an exact copy of what's on the site? --Someone Else 18:48, 24 November 2006 (UTC)
From the former page bug: More discussion is needed regarding the general nature of bugs and general comment re. bugs in nethack, including bug reporting/fixing process. --Tjr 01:15, 25 August 2011 (UTC)
Why should confused looting destroy a throne? It would be a good throne farm stopper, but I see no reason why it's a bug, even an unreported one. 188.8.131.52 01:50, 15 September 2011 (UTC)
- Arguably, game balance. --Tjr 04:53, 15 September 2011 (UTC)
Free Hostile Djinni
I accidentally discovered a bug a while ago, and I don't see it on this list (unless I missed it, just let me know). When a djinni from a lamp is asking you to choose what you want to wish for and you Hangup during the prompt, when you come back the prompt is gone (obviously), but the djinni is still there and now hostile, and the lamp is still magic. 184.108.40.206 10:31, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- Hangup can be used to cheat.
- I don't know if this would really be called cheating, since it'd only help extinctionists, but I imagine this falls under that spoiler bug. -- Qazmlpok 12:47, 31 March 2012 (UTC)
- Also see C343-95 (fixed):
- If killed by the wish from a magic lamp (or similar situation) and a bones file is produced, the bones file has the lamp in the wrong state.
- That might be for similar reasons, or it might at least be fixed in the same way (by changing the object type before giving the wish prompt, for example). Of course, there are probably other ways to fix it which would not affect this problem. --Bcode 05:18, 1 April 2012 (UTC)
- Also see C343-95 (fixed):
Maze Bones Related Bug?
Does the following count as a bug? - I just discovered while playing on NAO that the game can load bones files from the mazes between Medusa and the Castle before reaching Medusa if you are in a corresponding dungeon level (dlvl 25 was normal, dlvl 26 was maze-bones, dlvl 27 was medusa, dlvl 28 was a maze, dlvl 29 was castle). I don't see anything of the sort on this list. 220.127.116.11 20:26, 21 July 2012 (UTC)
Brown Pudding and Removed Armor
I just had a brown pudding rot an elven leather helm that I had removed before attacking the pudding. Bug, or just a correction to the wiki? --Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk • contribs) 03:10, 3 January 2013
- Can you please provide instructions how to reproduce the occurrance? Pointers (and turn count) to a NAO game ttyrec where it happens? --Tjr (talk) 07:34, 3 January 2013 (UTC)
No history, sorry. It just happened in my game (local PC), and I noticed the conflict with the wiki. I thought maybe someone more adept than I could check the source code and see the logic path. That was basically it... the helm was in my main inventory and got rotted by a brown pudding. Windows Nethack v3.4.3, Vulture's Eye v2.1.2-1. --Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs) 04:19, 4 January 2013
- Items not equipped will not be rotted as the code doesn't even consider those. See hurtarmor in mhitu.c. Are you sure it didn't happen while you were removing the helm? Otherwise, I can't think of an explanation for that.
- (Also, please sign your edits.) —bcode talk | mail 12:17, 4 January 2013 (UTC)
Nope, I wasn't wielding the helm, that's for sure. It was also surely unequipped when I saw that it had been rotted. I'm not 100% sure that it didn't happen though as I was removing it... if the code doesn't even consider non-equipped items, then it might/must have happened then. I was pretty sure I had removed my rottable armor before approaching the pudding, but maybe I was adjacent or it approached and attacked me in the process. Next time (if there is one), is there a way to record or dump the tty rec from Windows Nethack? Sincerely, (not often but I do occasionally help tighten up the wiki from a grammatical and internal integrity angle, and my IP is not static so I guess I will create an account if that would make everyone happy and well what do you know my browser remembers that I already had one from who knows how long ago) Mr. Unsigned :) P.S. I see the forum now too -- next time I'll start there. ——Frozty (talk) 00:01, 5 January 2013 (UTC)
Sacrificing pet of your own race - I want to be sure before I add this
Thanks to Pray.c#line1222 and Pray.c#line1223 sacrificing pet of your own race will not cause align chance and acquiring HAggravate_monster. Is it a bug? Bulwersator (talk) 22:49, 24 January 2013 (UTC)
- That appears to be correct. Same-race sacrifice takes priority. Whether or not that's a bug is really up to the devteam; it could very well be "intended behavior". -- Qazmlpok (talk) 23:27, 24 January 2013 (UTC)
- There are also other corner cases - sacrificing unicorn that was your pet, own race sacrifice on the crossaligned high altar (conversion will be stopped but god will not react), value 0 sacrifice on crossaligned high altar... IMHO it is obvious that it is case of "this code is a mess" not "it works as intended" Bulwersator (talk) 00:28, 25 January 2013 (UTC)
"The statue of a lichen misses."
- No; it moved and hit some monster that you couldn't see – well, actually it didn't hit it; it missed.
- (Please don't just add to talk pages: create a new section. There's an "Add topic" link at the top.)
- As for breaking statues, you can't do that by kicking them. Try using a pick-axe or dwarvish mattock; wands of striking and force bolt work, too. —bcode talk | mail 23:28, 13 March 2013 (UTC)
C343-436 - " Hero can levitate and fly where it makes no sense. "
Is it likely that http://www.reddit.com/r/nethack/comments/1agbm7/stuck_buried_in_lava_while_levitating/ covers this bug? Maybe mention it and interpretation from User:SGrunt/GruntHack vanilla bug tracking ("Listed as fixed on the assumption that this refers to the Plane of Water.") Bulwersator (talk) 11:27, 21 March 2013 (UTC)
The Pacifist page claims
- If there is no available square on your new dungeon level for your pet or any follower monster, it instantly vanishes. [...] (Beware: the game can crash if the follower has an invocation item!)
Stealing worn amulet from engulfing monster - bug or not?
It is apparently possible to take an amulet of life saving worn by Jubilex or another engulfer while the player is engulfed. The pick-up prompt shows the amulet as "being worn", and after I picked it up it became *my* worn amulet of life saving (the character in question was wearing no amulet), so this definitely seems like a bug. It shouldn't be that easy to rob Jubilex of his amulet of life saving. I wonder what happens if you do the same thing while already wearing an amulet? --Bluescreenofdeath (talk) 11:00, 22 January 2015 (UTC)
- It seems to be even worse; it's not even really worn (when I died from the illness, the amulet didn't save me) and I can put on another amulet of live saving which causes both of them to show as "being worn", yet the one taken from Jubilex can't be removed or dropped... Attempting to let a nymph steal the amulet causes a segfault crash. --Bluescreenofdeath (talk) 11:12, 22 January 2015 (UTC)