- Mostly the same. Lizards cure stoning but are not acidic. Other than that they are functionally identical. -- Qazmlpok 04:34, 1 December 2011 (UTC)
Does casting stone to flesh to self turn stone items in a container into meat? --ZeroOne 23:20, 11 June 2006 (UTC)
- No, they're safe. Article updated. --Jayt 09:55, 12 June 2006 (UTC)
The article says that the resistance can only be gained by polymorph, but doesnt YDSM protect you?Thefifthsetpin 02:53, September 28, 2009 (UTC)
- No. Yellow Dragons are acidic, breathe acid, and thus their scales give acid resistance. Their scales do not make you acidic, so you do not gain stoning resistance. Yellow dragons are simply stoning resistant as a result of being acidic themselves. -- Qazmlpok 04:21, September 28, 2009 (UTC)
It was a dumb mistake, but I just picked up a chickatrice, thinking that the fact that I had previously polymorphed into a yellow dragon gave me resistance. I added the sentence to make it explicit that resistance is only in effect while polymorphed into a resistant monster. --Jrogers 17:17, 15 December 2006 (UTC)
Reversing the stoning process
Eating a lizard or any acidic monster stops the process. They are the ones represented by letters :, b, j, D, F, N and P.
This statement is false, but I can't prove it yet. My guess is that only monsters that confer acid resistance (MR_ACID) will undo the stoning process but I haven't convinced myself of that yet with source code. - Addps4cat
- Actually it is all the monsters with the property M1_ACID and as a special case, the lizard. Addps4cat 13:23, 6 September 2007 (UTC)
I was a jabberwocky, and was attacked by a cockatrice. I started slowing down. I had no lizard corpses or any other remedies. Thinking maybe if I ran out of HP as a jabberwocky, I might revert to a non-stoned-human, I zapped myself with an unidentified wand. It turned out to be a /oPoly. It turned me in to a "new woman", and lo, un-stoned. Bug? dpk 6:36, 7 February 2008 (UTC)
- Probably not; the line "Stoned = 0;" at polyself.c, line 191 looks perfectly intentional to me. Great save by the way! Reverting to human form (rehumanize in polyself.c) doesn't appear to halt stoning, and regular poly only does so if you become stoning resistant or a golem.--Ray Chason 01:36, 8 February 2008 (UTC)
Do tins of acidic monsters or lizards stop stoning? I know the lizard meat would be at best still one turn slower and the same weight as the corpse. However, acid blob corpses are three times heavier and eventually rot. --AileTheAlien 18:14, 12 November 2011 (UTC)
- Just tested with Wizard Mode; They do in fact work. --AileTheAlien 18:17, 12 November 2011 (UTC)
- It works, but it's a bad idea - you have to make sure the tins remain blessed, because otherwise, opening them is fatal. A vegetarian might consider it, although a potion of acid, prayer, or even the stone-to-flesh spell might be preferable for them. -Ion frigate 15:00, 14 November 2011 (UTC)
Gloves are Recommended?
Wearing gloves is strongly recommended while handling cockatrices.