- Lying about your name to a guard gives -1 to alignment if you're lawful. I'd assume that attacking the guard would be similar to attacking any other peaceful, but I may be wrong. Lotte 23:27, 12 June 2006 (UTC)
- Stealing the gold and getting away with it carries no penalty, but Lotte is right: killing the guard is still murder. --Jayt 22:39, 13 June 2006 (UTC)
what about naming a lawful charater Croesus at the start of the game?
- The lying penalty simply checks whether your stated name is the same as your real name (vault.c#line270). If your name really is "Croesus", saying so doesn't count as a lie, and the guard will still be satisfied (or angry, if the other Croesus is dead). -- Killian 02:22, 1 December 2006 (UTC)
What happens if you go fetch the gold after having dropped it? Newtkiller 20:52, June 22, 2010 (UTC)
- If the guard's still there, he'll get angry after giving you one more warning. If not, as long as he doesn't reappear, nothing. They don't even get angry if they find you in the middle of digging your way in to/out of the vault, only if you pick up gold. -Ion frigate 04:07, June 23, 2010 (UTC)
What happens if you are unconscious, paralyzed, etc when the guard appears? --AileTheAlien 08:44, 13 February 2011 (UTC)
- Just wiztested that by hitting a floating eye in the vault - you get the same result as if you were polymorphed into a non-speaking monster: the guard informs you that he'll return when you're ready to speak to him, and leaves. Note that he doesn't actually return exactly when you're ready to speak with him (i.e. no longer paralyzed), but of course will return moderately soon. -Ion frigate 09:13, 13 February 2011 (UTC)
can you magic whistle your pet out of being trapped by the closing of a vault passage? --220.127.116.11 12:36, 15 February 2011 (UTC)
Always a closet if a vault?
If there is a vault, will there always be a closet to access it? --Tjr 23:32, 25 July 2011 (UTC)
- 2/3 chance. --Tjr 07:25, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
Name starting with digit
This guy on Reddit was unable to enter his true name ("3flower") at the vault guard's prompt because vault.c#line268 doesn't allow the first character to be anything other than a letter. Is this a bug? --Tungtn 01:43, 2 March 2012 (UTC)
- Looks like this is C343-238: (Unix and VMS only) The "Who are you?" prompt does not accept digits in the response. Looks like vault.c#line268 is the culprit, and it doesn't seem too hard to fix: just match the vault name sanitizer to the one at the start of the game. --Tungtn (talk) 02:35, 1 June 2012 (UTC)
Sending the Gold away
What does the guard do if, for example, you put all the gold on one square and zap it with a wand of teleport? or put in a cursed bag of holding and loot it? Is he still satisfied as long as you have no gold on you?--Bencoffman (talk) 21:28, 6 July 2013 (UTC)
- (Restored this after it was deleted; it's usually a good idea to keep talk page discussion.)
- As you already added to the page, all the guard cares about is that you aren't carrying any gold. —bcode talk | mail 18:04, 7 July 2013 (UTC)
Have your pet fetch the gold...
As the guard disappears after escorting you out, if the corridor extends all the way from the vault to a normal hallway/room, stay in in the exit corridor. Call your pet and have him/her fetch the gold. Make then exit pet first from the exit corridor. Kdz (talk) 23:01, 22 January 2015 (UTC)
I entered a vault via a teleporter, and when the guard came by, he drank a potion and gained a level when he let me out. Potentially useful for identification purposes if you have the time, even if you don't farm him. Amp-The-Champ (talk) 16:50, 5 April 2017 (UTC)