Sliming is the process of a character turning into green slime as the result of either the slime's touch attack (1d4 chance), using a biting attack against the slime, engulfing it, or eating a glob of it. It is shown as Slime in the status line. The process is fatal for you, but for other monsters they simply turn into a green slime. It is a slow process - you will have nine turns to take action against it if it is induced by the slime's attack or biting it and four turns if by means of engulfing it.
The only way to gain resistance to sliming, although not listed as a specific intrinsic, is to wear an amulet of unchanging or by polymorphing into a green slime or a fiery monster. Conversely, the Wizard of Yendor and the Endgame Riders are not immune, either.
Being slimed ends your game after nine turns; however, you can cure the condition:
- Burn away the slime: Either by being hit by a fire-based attack, such as zapping oneself with a wand of fire or reading a scroll of fire, throwing a lit potion of oil up, or by polymorphing into a fiery monster (specifically, a fire vortex, flaming sphere, fire elemental, or salamander)
- Casting cure sickness causes the slime to disappear
- So does #invoking the Staff of Aesculapius
- Prayer is also effective at removing slime (assuming you are not in Gehennom, their native environment)
- An amulet of life saving will save you from the end result
- An amulet of unchanging will immediately abort the sliming process
- Controlled polymorph into a green slime will save you, as inconsistent as this may seem. However, if you have controlled polymorph, it is far better to polymorph into a fiery monster, since you will be immune to subsequent sliming attacks, and pretty much any fiery monster is a better fighting form. A salamander is probably the best choice, since it is the only fiery monster with eyes, and can also wear all armor except boots. Fire vortices are also a good option: although blind, they are extremely fast and can pick up items.
|Message||Turns to live|
|"You don't feel very well."||9|
|"You are turning a little green."||8|
|"Your limbs are getting oozy."||6|
|"Your skin begins to peel away."||4|
|"You are turning into a green slime."||2|
|"You have become a green slime."||0|