Talk:List of vanilla NetHack tiles
Item tile naming
In the game, the tiles for spellbooks, wands, gems, potions, scrolls, rings, amulets, and certain tools/armor correspond to the unidentified names. For example, red gems have a tile and so do smoky potions. Currently they're listed here under the identified name, but there's no set graphical representation for those. I suggest we use the un-ID'd names for naming those tiles.--Cadex 21:20, 29 July 2006 (UTC)
- Yes, this makes sense. --Jayt 22:04, 29 July 2006 (UTC)
- Indeed. You cannot know what a "potion of healing" looks like but you certainly know how a "yellow potion" looks like. :) --ZeroOne 22:44, 29 July 2006 (UTC)
- Agreed. The randomized items use their generic descriptions. Also I omitted the floor and wall tiles. I plan on constructing a small room graphic representing the walls of each level (mine walls, gehennom walls, knox walls, sokoban walls) and uploading that as well. I'll begin the uploads at around 24:00 server time. -- PraetorFenix 22:54, 30 July 2006 (UTC)
Congrats; it looks great :-) What do you mean by "Edits to this page will be discarded."? Do you plan to do more automatic updates on it? Also, it should use ==Headings== rather than <h2>Headings</h2>. --Jayt 17:17, 1 August 2006 (UTC)
>Congrats; it looks great :-)
>Do you plan to do more automatic updates on it?
Well I plan on adding the character glyph to the images table. Like this:
|a||giant ant||b||killer bee||a||soldier ant|
Since I play w/ the x32 windows tiles, I really don't know the character graphics. So this will enable me to post comments on Dudleys Dungeon.
> What do you mean by "Edits to this page will be discarded."?
The reason I suggest posting changes on the Talk page is because its easier to integrate changes into the code. Otherwise I have to diff the wiki page with my local copy and try to figure out what changed. Once I finish the character mapping by mid to late August, the page can be edited normally.
> it should use ==Headings== rather than <h2>Headings</h2>
-- PraetorFenix 21:47, 1 August 2006 (UTC)
Bamboo arrow image
I went and copied Image:Bamboo arrow (ya).png to Image:Bamboo arrow.png, however I do not want to delete the former until this page swithes to using the latter. --Kernigh 22:17, 2 September 2006 (UTC)
Lycanthrope tiles in animal form
This table has two copies of the were-critters in humanish form, and none of the were-critters in animal form. I just did the NetHack 3.2.0 writeup, and it'd be nice to have some proper tiles for the were-critters. -- Ray Chason 02:15, 3 September 2006 (UTC)
This page is missing those monsters you can only see while hallucinating. Don't they have tiles? Tjr 13:24, February 16, 2010 (UTC)
- No, they don't. --paxed 16:38, February 16, 2010 (UTC)
The script used to generate this page
In BrowserHack, I would like to link each tile with the corresponding page in NetHackWiki, such that the user may go to the page with a shift-click. I wonder if this is a good idea for the wiki. And is the script used to generated this page publicly available? I need the tileid-to-tilename mapping for this feature. --Coolwanglu (talk) 04:44, 15 April 2015 (UTC)
- I also have need of a tileid-to-tilename mapping. Just in case knowing that more than one person needs it will make whoever has such a thing more likely to make it publicly available faster :D --Elronnd (talk) 05:44, 16 April 2015 (UTC)Elronnd
NetHack 3.6.0 adds nine new tiles (five objects and four under "other"); they need to be added to this page. They are glob of brown pudding, black pudding, green slime and gray ooze; paperback novel; poison cloud; valid position; vibrating square; and a second tile for "dark part of a room", the use of which is unclear (as I haven't yet seen tiles in action). Also, each monster gets a corresponding statue tile, which is derived at compile time rather than listed separately in the tiles source.--Ray Chason (talk) 04:18, 10 December 2015 (UTC)