Withering causes you or an afflicted monster to lose d2 HP per turn, and can only be cured by prayer or rubbing a silver item: this will shorten the withering by an amount of turns equal to the weight of the silver item, while inducing a certain amount of erosion also depending on the objects weight. Any silver item that is corroded enough this way can be disintegrated, up to and including artifacts - using the Bell of Opening will instead expend charges, and it cannot be corroded or destroyed this way.
In SpliceHack, withering has different effects depending on whether the player has regeneration:
- If you have regeneration, withering will cancel it out until it is cured.
- If you do not have regeneration, you cannot regain health naturally and will lose 1 HP per turn.
Withering is temporary and causes you to lose 1d2 hit points per turn, while preventing you from naturally regaining HP. Withering lasts for a number of turns equal to the attack's damage, with a minimum of at least two turns (e.g. 1d6 withering will cause the status for 2-6 turns); the status can stack from being hit by multiple withering attacks, making it more dangerous than it looks. If you gain more than 7 turns worth of withering in one attack, you also lose a point of maximum HP regardless of drain resistance.
Undead monsters (including polymorphed vampires) are immune to withering and its max HP loss. Other monsters affected by withering Withering effects monsters in an almost symmetrical manner, although blessed potions of healing, uncursed potions of extra healing, and cursed potions of full healing will also cure them.
Withering can be cured by the following methods:
- Prayer - successful prayer will halt the withering process prior to determining if it is cured, and your god prefers to cure withering over healing you from low HP.
- Quaffing a blessed potion of extra healing or a non-cursed potion of full healing
- Casting cure sickness at yourself
- Invoking The Staff of Aesculapius
- Letting the withering expire on its own
Having regeneration can counteract withering and reduce HP loss by one, with the net effect of losing 0 or only 1 HP per turn.