Sliming is the process of a character turning into green slime as the result of either the slime's touch attack (1d4 chance), using a biting attack against the slime, engulfing it, or eating a glob of it. It is shown as Slime in the status line. The process is fatal for you, but other monsters, when afflicted, can live on as a green slime. It is a slow process - you will have nine turns to take action against it if it is induced by the slime's attack or by you biting it, and four turns if you have engulfed a slime.
There is no specific, intrinsic resistance to sliming. The only ways to gain resistance are to wear an amulet of unchanging or to polymorph into a green slime or a fiery monster. The good news is that the Wizard of Yendor and the Endgame Riders are not immune, either.
Being slimed ends your game after nine turns; however, if you act in time you can cure the condition:
- Burn away the slime: Either by being hit by a fire-based attack, such as zapping yourself with a wand of fire or reading a scroll of fire, throwing a lit potion of oil up, or by polymorphing into a fiery monster (specifically a fire vortex, flaming sphere, fire elemental, or salamander). You can also throw upwards (<) a weapon that inflicts fire damage, such as Fire Brand.
- Casting cure sickness causes the slime to disappear
- So does #invoking the Staff of Aesculapius
- Prayer is also effective at removing slime (assuming you are not in Gehennom, their native environment)
- An amulet of life saving will save you from the end result
- An amulet of unchanging will immediately abort the sliming process
- Controlled polymorph into a green slime will save you, as inconsistent as this may seem. However, if you have controlled polymorph, it is far better to polymorph into a fiery monster, since you will be immune to subsequent sliming attacks, and pretty much any fiery monster is a better fighting form. A salamander is probably the best choice, since it is the only fiery monster with eyes, and can also wear all armor except boots. Fire vortices are also a good option: although blind, they are extremely fast and can pick up items.
|Message||Turns to live|
|"You don't feel very well."||9|
|"You are turning a little green."||8|
|"Your limbs are getting oozy."||6|
|"Your skin begins to peel away."||4|
|"You are turning into a green slime."||2|
|"You have become a green slime."||0|