for IRC chat see freenode
#chat is an extended command which enables you to talk to a monster. This command can give amusing results (see talking to vampires for an example) and is occasionally a hindrance (for example, when chatting with skeletons), but it also has a number of practical uses.
- Talking to your pet may give you some information about its welfare, according to its nutrition and tameness levels. When tameness is less than 5, cats will yowl, dogs will whine, and horses will neigh; for cats and dogs, these messages also appear when confused, scared, or trapped. Dogs also whine when hungry; cats will meow when hungry, and horses will whinny. Tame dogs and cats also have special messages for being particularly non-hungry (yipping and purring respectively); if none of the other cases applies, cats will mew, dogs (other than dingos) will bark, and horses will whicker. Humanoid pets will say "I'm hungry" when hungry, and will also moan when at less than 1/4 of their maximum HP and ask for a potion of healing when at less than 1/2 maximum HP.
- #chat-ting when standing on an item in a shop will tell you its price. Picking the item up will give the same information but can be dangerous (for example, a scroll of scare monster might turn to dust, and the shopkeeper will ask you to pay for it).
- Talking to a temple priest gives you the opportunity to donate, if you are carrying gold. Depending on how much you donate, you may get clairvoyance or protection.
- #chat-ting while hallucinating can help you tell monsters apart, since their responses are not distorted. For example, any monster that purrs or yips must be your pet cat or dog.
- Talking to an opposite-sex foocubus will initiate an encounter with it. This can be useful if the foocubus is tame or peaceful, or if it has trouble hitting you through your AC.
- #chat-ting to your quest leader will cause him/her to roam about. This is useful if you want to get Neferet the Green off the throne before you have quest permission. Work the speed system, as she will whisk you out on her turn if you are adjacent and not yet "worthy".
- Talking to a monster you zapped with a wand of sleep will tell you if it is actually sleeping.
- In UnNetHack, as a Convict you can #chat with sewer rats to pacify and tame them.
Chatting can be dangerous in some situations. These situations occur usually when you are blind or hallucinating and try to distinguish your surroundings.
- #chat-ting with a Skeleton paralyzes you for a short time.
- #chat-ting with a Foocubus starts the intercourse. This may be useful (as mentioned above) but can also be dangerous depending of the situation.
- #chat-ting to a peaceful aligned Priest who isn't in a Temple or is in a desecrated (=converted) temple makes him hostile.
- #chat-ting to a aligned Priest in normal situations (for example Minetown Temple) triggers the donation prompt. If you decide to donate nothing ("Thou shalt regret thine action") you lower your alignment. To get safely out of the situation, just donate 1 Zorkmid. You get the "Cheapskate" message, but this has no bad effect. Of course you can also make the best of the situation and buy Divine Protection if you can afford it (400 * experience-level).
- #chat-ting to a Shrieker causes it to shriek. Note that Shriekers are mindless, so this can happen if you are running around with a blindfold (to use intrinsic telepathy) and chat to an unseen monster. This can end bad if you are trying to evade something you can't defeat (Soldier Ants, sleeping Nymph,...)
- #chat-ting to a priest breaks atheist conduct